Ether

/ Ether #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I just acquired an International 1066. Seems as though the battery is probably weak (sitting on charger right now).

Yesterday it was chilly out, not "cold" (I'm guessing mid/upper 60's??)

Cranked her over.... smoke puffed out the stack but it just wouldn't quite start.

Hooked charger to it (at 2-amps) and more of the same. Upped it to 20 amps and after a few minutes, it fired up.

During this process, I hit the (factory installed) ether button. I could hear it click but of course, the can is empty.

I might go buy a can or two.... other than ether for starting a car, have never bought it for anything else.

The can seems to be a bit truncated (verses 'auto' style) but it also might be an adjustable harness holding it.

Long way to ask.... where do you get the ether for these things and is ether, ether? (are there any differences such that it might matter)

I'm wondering if I can just go to my auto-parts store, buy a can, pull the spray knob off and insert it into the tractors holder??

I DID read something I thought was interesting.... it said to crank engine over and while cranking, give it a short spurt of ether (verses spraying it with starter NOT engaged). I'll admit I had never thought of it that way.

Learn something new every day!!

/ Ether #2  
I think starter fluid can from auto parts will fit cold starting aid bracket. I hate utilizing starter fluid IE my '91 model JD 4255 has the same starting fluid can that was installed originally.

/ Ether #3  
Our NAPA stores carry the right can to fit that dispenser.
If she started good with the battery charged up I would avoid the ether.
I thing that I have seen happen is someone thinking they were hitting a start button and hitting it several times.
Fortunately he got stopped before he got to the start button.
When used properly and minimally that is a decent starting aid, the problem come up when it gets used a lot
they seem to start needing it more. That detonation or rattle and knock you hear when using ether is rough on engines.
Good batteries and block heaters are nicer to engines then ether.

/ Ether #4  
Alternative to ether/starting fluid is "carb cleaner" its volatile but not nearly as hard (volatile) on motors as ether... Have a very stubborn Briggs and Stratton twin if it sits a few days to a week it doesn't like to start, but a quick shot of carb cleaner gets it going every time....

Dale

/ Ether #5  
Alternative to ether/starting fluid is "carb cleaner" its volatile but not nearly as hard (volatile) on motors as ether... Have a very stubborn Briggs and Stratton twin if it sits a few days to a week it doesn't like to start, but a quick shot of carb cleaner gets it going every time....

Dale

I’ve used carb cleaner and brake cleaner in place of ether. Both seen to work fine. I’ve never tried it but I’ve heard of people wrapping a gas soaked rag around the air intake.

/ Ether #6  
Ive used wd-40 as a starting fluid especially with 2 stroke engine and works in the potato gun when out of hair spray and ether

/ Ether #7  

Dale
that's a very good solvent for oil though, you may not want your cylinders un-lubricated from using that..

/ Ether #8  
I’ve used carb cleaner and brake cleaner in place of ether. Both seen to work fine. I’ve never tried it but I’ve heard of people wrapping a gas soaked rag around the air intake.

I heard the same thing. Was told it was easier on the motor than ether. My TD7 has an ether start button for below 32* F according to the manual. I tried the gas rag trick and not really soaked just damp. The motor started quick and I thought it was going to jump out of the dozer in pieces. I won't try that again unless it is an emergency. So if you try it start with just giving it a wiff of gas. I wrapped the rag all the way around the intake pipe under the coarse filter screen.

gg

/ Ether #9  
that's a very good solvent for oil though, you may not want your cylinders un-lubricated from using that..

Don't think about a 1/2 second or less shot is going to wash any more oil off cylinders than ether...Beside it mostly vapor once it goes through air cleaner.... And just running battery down and have to recharge it is not quite a winning process when I need to get my 2-3 acres of grass mowed....

Dale

/ Ether #10  
The International diesels in the 70s and 80s had a fairly low pressure injection system and are hard starters when cold, hence the ether system. When used by the book, there is really no harm. Some Deutz-Allis models took control out of the operator’s hands - thermostatic control on the ether injection.