Even the upgraded alternator.has limits

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
....I guess?:confused:
Last FRIDAY when i was blowing snow ill admit i was showing off to the neighbrs a bit.Iwas out there for just over an hour with
Heater fan on high[realized later the slowest out of 3 speeds works best]
circulating fan on high
oem tractor lights on/with tail lights
oem tractor flashers on
top rop mounted revolving flasher on
2 rear facing lights on[55w each]
2 front facing lights on [55w each]

When i tryed to start it today battery was weak,and battery light on.Tested at 12 volts tractor off.When i got it running volts were way up around 16.After i ran tractor an hour shut off volts at 14with tractor off.Played a little tonight [1/2 houror better] ran just front floods and heater and revolving all seemed fine after.
My question is 9 lights and 2 flashers and two fans on high too much for the upgraded alternator,or do i have an issue?Im guessing its a 40 amp alt but im not sure,Of course i dont need or even want all that junk on at once ,but should it have worked?What is the best way to test output of the alt.independant of the tractor.Ialso pulled off the negative cable when running,tractor stayed running,but un like a gas job it would i suspect?
ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #2  
....I guess?:confused:
Last FRIDAY when i was blowing snow ill admit i was showing off to the neighbrs a bit.Iwas out there for just over an hour with
Heater fan on high[realized later the slowest out of 3 speeds works best]
circulating fan on high
oem tractor lights on/with tail lights
oem tractor flashers on
top rop mounted revolving flasher on

ALAN

Alan,

This what I run and have had no problem in the past 3 years.

circulating fan on low
top rop mounted orange strobe on
Electric rotator

I do have an upgraded alternator as u do.

I also keep a solar trickle charger on when the tractor is not is use. Knock on wood I am still on the original battery since march 02.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits
TOM, Ihad the original tractor lights on as well,plus its flashers,plus my circulating fan[not counting the heater fan]Do you think it was just too much ,or could i have an issue? I dont do the trickle charger,mabey i should?
ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #4  
Hi
Your 40 amp alternator is = to 480 watts.
Your 2 frt and 2 rear lamps= 220 watts
Heater motor draws a lot regardless of speed selected as speed is merely resistors in series.
Your rotating light probably has 2 sealed beams drawing another 100 watts or so.

All in all you were drawing more than the alternator output hence battery supplied the rest needed and just plain depleted itself.

Knowing some of these current draws is why I used computer type fans for my heater as they draw less than 1 amp and are far more efficient.
I also use only one front and one rear retangular halogen 'white fog lights' (flat very bright light), again for the current draw. (more lighting for the amps)

Don't believe anything is wrong with your alternator, you just asked too much of it.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #5  
The alternator only puts out full current at high RPM, so that can also be an issue, especially if you are idling some. Sounds good otherwise. 14 volts is a good charging when warmed up.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #6  
Alan,

Without doing the calculations for watts vs volts I think u just had too much on. I think the OEM lights are not needed, if u can not see with two 55 watts front and back, then the OEM are not going to help.:D

I have 3 of these Harbor Freight solar chargers connected into my battery. I got them on sale for about $7-8 each a few years ago.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits
Good,i was hoping i didnt have an issue.Iabsolutely do not need the oem tractor lights on,like TOM SAID two 55 w[in each direction] are awesome.just teasing the neighbors,AND being an idiot.:D.The heater fan works best on low,doesnt feel as warm on medium or high.ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #8  
Great set up you have there, this is what I do; when my BX is not playing---er----working I mean. I installed what is called a Battery Tender, It is used for my Harley Davidson over the winter sleep. Just plug it in when tractor is idle and it will keep the charge up, but not over charged. It stops the charge when charge is full, does not over charge.It can be bought at you Harley Dealer for about $40.00, workes GREAT! I have used three of them for different pieces of equiptment for the last 3 or 4 years.
Rick

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #10  
Tom,
thanks for link to Harbor Freight on price, we have one on Central Ave. in Schenectady, Albany road. I do shop there, the only difference I see is the connection. I have clamps and stay-cons on mine that can be permanently installed on battery so you don't have to remove guard on tractor. But stay-cons are cheap and clampes could be cut off.
Rick