Ever had this happen?

/ Ever had this happen? #1  

s78wingrider

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 gear
I hooked the air hose to my older Stanley Bostich coil framing nailer and it instantly fired, just missing the largest window I have in my building! :confused2: I unhook it between uses because it leaks some and didn't think of it going off again, but about put hole in metal roof! After that, was more careful where it was pointing! Could cold have something to do with it? I have a finish nailer I have to keep in house cause it won't fire when its cold :confused: Aaron

/ Ever had this happen? #2  
Probably some crud blocking the trigger.
Cold suggests maybe moisture trapped in there.
I like to spray mine with WD-40 to sort of wash it clean from time to time. Works for me.

/ Ever had this happen?
Thanks PILOON! sounds like a good idea :thumbsup: Aaron

/ Ever had this happen? #4  
do you put air tool oil in it ( does it need it? )

soundguy

/ Ever had this happen? #5  
WD40 has a lot of Stoddard Solvent in it. If it's not compatible with the seals you might have a mess. I'd check the manual for what to use for lube.

Does the nailer have a contact shoe? It shouldn't fire if it does.

/ Ever had this happen? #6  
Bosses kid was hooking up the N16 stapler ( 1 5/8" inch long staples we used to attach OSB )
and had the danged thing resting on his leg!!
I always wiggle the safety shoe,the trigger and point it away from anything. Always hook up the gun last!!

/ Ever had this happen? #7  
I've had this happen a few times on my Bostich framing nailer. Now, I lower the line pressure before hooking it up then increase the pressure to where I need it. Hasn't happened since.

/ Ever had this happen? #8  
I betcha the vast majority of users have never considered this to be a possibility and have never seen it happen. All it would take is to be unlucky the first time it did though, and a person could be in for a ton of grief, both physically, mentally and economically. A soft tissue injury might be a blessing instead of getting it in an eyeball, an artery or your "junk".:shocked:

/ Ever had this happen? #9  
I treat air nailers like real guns. I've seen nails blow right threw stuff being nailed or get deflected and it's scary. I'd have someone familiar with those at least look at it. Even call the manufacturer and ask. I've found them to be great helps when I have questions.

/ Ever had this happen? #10  
I was just using my nailer yesterday.....hooked/unhooked several times moving from room to room. Never gave it much thought as to where it was pointing during the process.......I think I will now.