Ever-increasing Information ? ?

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Ibrahim or Muhammad, how do you manage the additional sorage space that is needed each day to store all the new posts and pictures? I am pretty sure that you are not deleting old posts to make room, or are you? I'm just curious as to how you manage an ever increasing amount of data.

I love that fact that TBN is a vast archive of knowledge /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #2  
Since the posts are just text, the database size itself isn't that big in file size (a couple hundred megs, max), but the file attachments are pretty big... several gigs, I believe (that's why we limit attachment size).

At a certain point, we'll probably need more disk space, but we'll be in the 400-500k message range at that point (at least a year away /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

We currently run the entire site off a 9gb scsi drive and if I remember correctly, it's about half full.

The bigger challenge, is managing the server so everybody can access all that information, without it taking forever to load of generating errors from too many people accessing. In the past month, we've spent a lot of time on optimizing things and using some tricks to get the most out of our server.

We've been able to return performance to a level that we haven't seen since a couple years ago, without doing any hardware upgrades. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ?
Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now I have to look-up 'scsi' /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #4  
SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface, which is widely used in medium and large systems. SCSI is an industry-standard interface and generally offers faster transfer rates than does ATA/IDE, the interface most commonly used in desktop PCs.

In general, ATA/IDE is considered easier to implement and less expensive but does not offer as many features as SCSI. SCSI can support both the connection of many devices and the connection of many devices over long distances.

The Ultra ATA drives are now as fast as SCSI drives. The main advantage to SCSI is the ability to chain many units together, a necessity in vary large server "farms" with tens of thousands of users.

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The main advantage to SCSI is the ability to chain many units together, a necessity in vary large server "farms" with tens of thousands of users. )</font>

Oh /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif 'The programmed reality of the Matrix'
You are freak'n me out now, Hakim /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #6  
Nah,

Just think Yahoo, or EBay or (in 5 years) TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #7  
<font color="blue">"SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface, which is widely used in medium and large systems. SCSI is an industry-standard interface..."</font>

FYI...See attached web article on news about SCSI and other varients in development.

SCSI Related News

...Bob

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #8  
We currently run the entire site off a 9gb scsi drive

Does this mean that some ner-do-well, could sneak in during the middle of the night, and obscond off with (to hold hostage) the vast experiences here?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

almost an interesting concept, to hold "TBN" in your shirtpocket...

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #9  
<font color="blue">Does this mean that some ner-do-well, could sneak in during the middle of the night, and obscond off with (to hold hostage) the vast experiences here?</font>

Sure, if they could get past the armed guards. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ever-increasing Information ? ? #10  
Images of Tron, The Matrix, & the Borg.........

If you get by the "armed guards" at TBN HQ, you may be assimilated by the system and next seen driving one of Swishy's animated CAT's!

Which wouldn't be too bad if they let you back out. After a while. Hopefully before Supper.