Everybody loves a guessing game

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #11  
Some Kubota FELs with QA, like the 853 (I think that is the number) on my L4330 had locking pins cut at an angle on the end that would allow the pins to move back against the holding spring and unlock under load. Kubota made a kit that blocked the disengagement of the pins from the pin holds. Before I knew about the kit I made a simple one for my machine; it is just a sleeve that goes inside the spring and around the central bolt to keep the bolt from backing out. It leaves enough spring travel to let the overcenter handles move to the lock position. It cost a few Dollars and works fine. If your FEL does not have the locking kit you might consider getting one or making your own.

/ Everybody loves a guessing game
That is very fixable. Cut the tube in two at the bend, pick your bucket up with it and then weld the tube together again.

Attempting to repair it is a possibility, but it may be beyond my ability. One problem is that the tube has twisted. That's the easy part. Your recommended repair method would definitely work if that were the only issue, and I could handle that myself using the method you suggested.

The bend is another matter. I don't have a torch, so bending it back straight is problematic. It also isn't evident as you look at the tube just *where* the bend is.

I'm going to price a new one today, and whether I attempt a repair will be based upon how horrible the news is on that front...

Thanks,
Jay

Some Kubota FELs with QA, like the 853 (I think that is the number) on my L4330 had locking pins cut at an angle on the end that would allow the pins to move back against the holding spring and unlock under load. Kubota made a kit that blocked the disengagement of the pins from the pin holds. Before I knew about the kit I made a simple one for my machine; it is just a sleeve that goes inside the spring and around the central bolt to keep the bolt from backing out. It leaves enough spring travel to let the overcenter handles move to the lock position. It cost a few Dollars and works fine. If your FEL does not have the locking kit you might consider getting one or making your own.

I can't picture in my mind all the details of your locking mechanism. Can you post a picture of it?

I'm also not clear whether the lock pin was actually retracted on the left QA plate when I discovered the grapple detached on that side. It probably *was* retracted, but I can't for the life of me remember that very important detail.

Thanks,
Jay

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #14  
I can't picture in my mind all the details of your locking mechanism. Can you post a picture of it?

I'm also not clear whether the lock pin was actually retracted on the left QA plate when I discovered the grapple detached on that side. It probably *was* retracted, but I can't for the life of me remember that very important detail.

Thanks,
Jay

Keep in mind that if the implement does not fit right the bottom lock can disengage if the implement is not tight to the frame.

Check to be sure yours has the stop blocks over the pins when latched closed.

Attachments

• 5-18-2007 001.jpg
    5-18-2007 001.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
   / Everybody loves a guessing game #15  
Look at the gap on the frame, this is not good.

First pic is before I repaired the bucket, second is after repair.

Attachments

• 5-17-2007 002.jpg
    5-17-2007 002.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 5-17-2007 007.jpg
    5-17-2007 007.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 448
Kevin,

My QA assembly is exactly the same as yours: model L2226. The stop blocks are there.

I'm positive the latches were locked when I hooked up in the morning, drove a mile, and started working. I'm *not* sure the left-hand latch was engaged at the time I discovered the grapple was detached from that side. I just can't remember in all the excitement. I had been working for over an hour when it happened. It's possible a hefty branch got kicked up just right and struck the locking handle from the underside and unlatched the pin -- who knows. Or it could've just been a bad fit (like you mentioned earlier).

Jay

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #17  
Kevin,

My QA assembly is exactly the same as yours: model L2226. The stop blocks are there.

I'm positive the latches were locked when I hooked up in the morning, drove a mile, and started working. I'm *not* sure the left-hand latch was engaged at the time I discovered the grapple was detached from that side. I just can't remember in all the excitement. I had been working for over an hour when it happened. It's possible a hefty branch got kicked up just right and struck the locking handle from the underside and unlatched the pin -- who knows. Or it could've just been a bad fit (like you mentioned earlier).

Jay

I have had a few times where the implement is not on perfect and the pin will not go under the block!!!!

I always check to be sure it goes under or the pin can lift up when backing or using down pressure.

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #18  
See attached positive pin lock mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• pin.pdf
    835.9 KB · Views: 388
  • spring.pdf
    713.3 KB · Views: 283
   / Everybody loves a guessing game #19  
Farmer,

There must be a couple different designs. Mine and the OP have a plate welded to the frame that holds the pin down when in the latched position.

See my pic in post 14

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #20  
If the cross tube is bent..... just cut it out and either weld in a smaller diameter tube that fits inside, or weld in a center sectin of the same diameter with a sleeve in each side. It would be easy enough to fix if you can weld (or have someone to weld it for a six pack).