Exactly what is 'shuttle shift'

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #31  
That is the same setup I have on my Case CX80 and while it was advertised as having a "shuttle shift", it really isn't as I have to clutch to change directions...

You do have shuttle shift. All shuttle shift means is you have a F-N-R shifter, usually at the left side of the seat or on the steering column that is separate from the transmission speed and range shifters. If you have to come to a complete stop to shift from forward to reverse, using the clutch, you have "non-synchro" shuttle and a dry clutch.

If you can shuttle shift between forward and reverse without grinding the gears while the tractor is moving, but still need to use the clutch, you have "synchro-shuttle" Kioti DK65, DK90 etc. among others - still with a single plate dry clutch.

A "hydraulic shuttle", "Power Shuttle", "Power Reverser" is combined with a multi-plate wet clutch and does the clutching electro-hydraulically, whether you push the foot clutch or flip the stalk on the steering column.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #32  
OK, then I have a synchro shuttle.

When I think of shuttle I think of the John Deere 310 that I used working construction in college. I was driving along and for some reason, I guess stupidity, flipped that lever backward. I was going about 10 mph w/o my seat belt on. When that thing went into reverse I had to peel myself off the hood. Good thing nobody was looking, because I'm sure I looked pretty goofy. :eek: Last time I ever did that.

Chris

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #33  
You do have shuttle shift. All shuttle shift means is you have a F-N-R shifter, usually at the left side of the seat or on the steering column that is separate from the transmission speed and range shifters. If you have to come to a complete stop to shift from forward to reverse, using the clutch, you have "non-synchro" shuttle and a dry clutch.

If you can shuttle shift between forward and reverse without grinding the gears while the tractor is moving, but still need to use the clutch, you have "synchro-shuttle" Kioti DK65, DK90 etc. among others - still with a single plate dry clutch.

A "hydraulic shuttle", "Power Shuttle", "Power Reverser" is combined with a multi-plate wet clutch and does the clutching electro-hydraulically, whether you push the foot clutch or flip the stalk on the steering column.

Yeah, I know it's all been explained before; should of said in my opinion or just kept it to myself, I don't consider it a "shuttle shift" in spite of the mechanical definition as for me I see no advantage to having a "shuttle shift" over anything else if you have to use the clutch. My Case CX or backhoe are really no easier to use than my non shuttle shift Massey Ferguson. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

I probably need to stay off here as I seem to keep stepping into something.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #34  
Yeah, I know it's all been explained before; should of said in my opinion or just kept it to myself, I don't consider it a "shuttle shift" in spite of the mechanical definition as for me I see no advantage to having a "shuttle shift" over anything else if you have to use the clutch. My Case CX or backhoe are really no easier to use than my non shuttle shift Massey Ferguson. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

I probably need to stay off here as I seem to keep stepping into something.

I'm with ya. ;)

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #35  
Triple R,

If the snow will ever let up and let it dry out I think I will make myself scarce here too.:) but while I am here I might as well argue with somebody.:D

You aren't alone!

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #36  
Triple R,

If the snow will ever let up and let it dry out I think I will make myself scarce here too.:) but while I am here I might as well argue with somebody.:D

You aren't alone!

I think I am probably suffering from symptoms of tractor withdrawal and don't like to argue, so I guess I am in trouble.

/ Exactly what is 'shuttle shift' #37  
I have a Massey Ferguson 1440 with Power Shuttle 16 speed Fwd. and 16 speed Rev. 2 shift levers on left side of seat, 4 ranges and 4 gears = 16 speed. A fwd. rev. lever on the left side of the steering wheel, this shift lever does not require the clutch.

I've only had it for a short time, but I'm very pleased with this tractor. 40 hp compact utility. It is the closest trans. to a HST. with out going HST.