Exciting times at the Deere dealer today

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
I've been agonizing between the Kubota L4060HSTC and the JD 4044R cabbed. I've had four Kubotas and all have been flawless, trouble free units. But on close examination the Deere has some very clever and well engineered design features, and the rear end looks substantially beefier. Removing the FEL took all of 45 seconds, as did reattaching it. The only feature the Kubota has that is a clear winner is the HI-LO range lever I can reach with a pinky finger; I would really miss that.

So today the JD dealer went over his tractor with me. He really knows his product, and since he used to sell Kubota he knows the competition as well. The Deere is $2500 more than the Kubota, but today he dropped the price another $1500, added an iMatch (never seen that before but it looks like a nifty bit of kit), and ice chains at his cost. My old Kubota dealer was taken over by a regional chain, and all the employees had their health insurance coverage drastically cut. They aren't too happy about that, and the drop in morale shows in their attitude.

I'm sorely tempted to switch to green, but then there's the customer (and dealer) satisfaction ratings that show Kubota on top. The problem is the data don't differentiate by model or even class of tractor. For all I know the Deere satisfaction ratings could be dragged down by the green lawn tractors sold at Home Depot.

I do have a very good feeling about the dealer, which is a plus. Oh, and the exciting part? While I was there a big rig pulled up with a delivery, misjudged the overhang on the roof, and tore a big hole in the building! Somali driver on his first delivery. Despite having their building rammed the dealer treated him respectfully, which was a plus.

Last edited:
   / Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #2  
So you have had 4 flawless Kubotas and you want me to make you feel good about paying more for a Deere because he treated an immigrant truck driver well?

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today
So you have had 4 flawless Kubotas and you want me to make you feel good about paying more for a Deere because he treated an immigrant truck driver well?

Because they were unflappable. They could have had a conniption and made the guy feel an inch tall, but it wouldn't have changed anything. I figure the driver's employer will take corrective action, so why heap another helping on the poor sod.

Interesting that you chose that to focus on...

Semper fi,
Pete

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #4  
Boondox,
Just go for the tractor you like the best as both are very good models. If the two are that close in price the cost will not make as much difference as your long term satisfaction.

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #5  
Tell me again why you have decided on Deere? Why?

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #6  
. . . .on close examination the Deere has some very clever and well engineered design features
Interesting, what are these features not found on a Kubota?

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #7  
. . . .on close examination the Deere has some very clever and well engineered design features
Interesting, what are these features not found on a Kubota?

Too bad about the driver, he'll most likely will be fired, I'd feel sorry for him also.

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #8  
Bla bla... green haters. Either one would be good. I prefer green because they are better says me. No one in my area uses orange, not sure why. Guess no dealers or popularity?

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #9  
Does that particular Deere have the Aluminum rear axle housing? If so- it has been a problem for (some) 4000 series owners once it is out of warranty.

No it doesn't
That is the older smaller 4000 series nothing in common to the larger newer 4000 series

/ Exciting times at the Deere dealer today #10  
Yeah-deleted the post after checking- should have done that first:ashamed:
The way JD changes #s it is hard to keep track