Exhaust pipe modification L3700

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #1  

Pks

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU, Cub Cadet 1430, Hustler Super-Z 66in, Vermeer 1250
I would like to change the outlet location for the exhaust pipe away from the front left tire to somewhere where I don't have to breathe the exhaust. I was thinking of running an extension pipe 2 the outlet the back of the roll bar above my head. I don't have a cab. Has anybody done something like this?

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #2  
I changed mine for the same reason, though not as big as yours.

20130629_160809.jpg

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #3  
I would like to change the outlet location for the exhaust pipe away from the front left tire to somewhere where I don't have to breathe the exhaust. I was thinking of running an extension pipe 2 the outlet the back of the roll bar above my head. I don't have a cab. Has anybody done something like this?

I've thought of doing that, especially when I'm doing something with the PTO and the wind is a certain direction (mine dumps by the right front tire). As long as you use an extension that doesn't restrict flow you should be good.

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700
Did you leave the connection to the existing exhaust as a clamped connection?

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700
What type of pipe is that? Would I need a pipe bender to do this myself?

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #7  
Unless you use flex pipe like Billrog did.

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #8  
I removed the existing piece of tail pipe that pointed out the front measured the dia. of the existing pipe bought a 14" length of flex because in Canada that's the longest they'll sell or it would have been longer.
Figured out and measured the off set then bought a piece of tail pipe that the flex would slip into and had them bend it for me. I marked the tail pipe with a felt pen where I wanted it bent then eyeballed it while the fella bent it to what I thought was right. A long piece of flex pipe would have been much simpler. And I'd suggest extending it back farther than in my pick the piece of tail pipe I bought was as long a piece they had in the size I needed. I've since extended it a couple ft.from in the pic.

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #9  

Thank you Peter! Maybe this thead will finally get me to modify my tractor's exhaust too. It's something I've been considering doing ever since I got this tractor....my first with a horizontal exhaust. I'm not sure why I put up with the low exhaust that can blow back in my face for so long. I guess I thought it was a fad that would soon be replaced with common sense....after all, most tractors historically had vertical exhausts to avoid that "exhaust in the face" issue. Early compacts had a muffler that could be mounted vertically or horizontally - user's choice.

I'm not sure why consumers ever allowed the horizontal-only exhaust system to become the norm. But I did accept mine that way, so I'm part of the problem. I kept thinking that surely someone would sell a kit to convert to vertical exhaust. But nobody has; that's another mystery.

So much for whatevers; it's way past time to change it. Luckily, the Kubota M59 has a full roll cage with a canope top, so there is more choice of where to run a vertical pipe.

Kinda off the subject, but that full roll cage with the canope top is just about the nicest thing I've ever had on a tractor. It's got about half the advantages of a cab without the disadvantages.

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #10  
Almost as usual, Paul short has dealt with the exhaust issue on his Kubota 5740. Possibly works best on a cabbed tractor. I did something similar on a Kubota L2900 only not a nice as Paul's.
Look here at about the 4 minute mark. He may have a separate video on the installation, I don't know.
Kubota 574 upgrades - YouTube
Al