Exmark vs John Deere ZTR

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #21  
The Deere machine and the Everride machine were not the same mower, you are confused. Don't expect too many more diesel options. Do expect more MOD decks, and a new "estate" mower (in between the eZtracks and their commercial Z's)...thats all I'm saying!!

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #22  
I had a lawn company for 12 years, and had all toro mowers, go figure with my name hey. Toro and exmark are more or less the same machine, I liked them a lot. The new design, two years ago I think, on the spindles makes them nearly impossible to wreck, very nice as rebuilding spindles is a pain. I am going to differ with everyone on the engine. I preferred the Kohler over the cow, the Kohler does better at dispersing heat. I overheated two cow engines because I neglected to be diligent at cleaning the cooling fins. Just my experience.

I have never used nor really looked at a Deere zero turn, but I like my CUT.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #23  
Also you can double your warranty for a Kawasaki if you purchase a case of there brand name oil from 2 years to 4 and fill out the dealer sheet.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #24  
I just returned from the John Deere BTL sales training. Deeres 2008 machines have changed significantly. They are not upgrades of what was offered before. Verticle drive shaft engines, more horse power, fewer parts, turn key starting, foot operated brake, fewer electrical switches, stronger frames, & a new drive system. The machines we saw were prototypes of what's coming next spring. There were a few guys down there with camera snapping pictures. I'm sure those photos will be showing up on the net somewhere. As for now, no further information is available from Deere.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #25  
Credit for these pictures goes to a fellow lawnsite member that took these at the GIE expo.

Attachments

• New Deere ZTR1.jpg
    New Deere ZTR1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 901
  • New Deere ZTR2.jpg
    New Deere ZTR2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 626
  • New Deere ZTR3.jpg
    New Deere ZTR3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 534
  • New Deere ZTR4.jpg
    New Deere ZTR4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 389
  • New Deere ZTR5.jpg
    New Deere ZTR5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 517
  • New Deere ZTR6.jpg
    New Deere ZTR6.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 511
   / Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #26  
Moving to all vertical shaft design which allows for a single belt drive. MOD decks are now offered on more than just the 60" and the MOD deck is different also. Stronger frames. None of the machines in the pictures have them but there is a new feature that you can get where on the end of each control stick there is a button, one engages/disengaged the deck and the other lifts and lowers the deck, very cool. Overall very clean machines that look like they have all the right parts.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #27  
gamble77 said:
Moving to all vertical shaft design which allows for a single belt drive. MOD decks are now offered on more than just the 60" and the MOD deck is different also. Stronger frames. None of the machines in the pictures have them but there is a new feature that you can get where on the end of each control stick there is a button, one engages/disengaged the deck and the other lifts and lowers the deck, very cool. Overall very clean machines that look like they have all the right parts.

gamble77, is Deere replacing the 997 model with an updated version? I am considering one of these next spring and just wondered.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #28  
BCNU said:
gamble77, is Deere replacing the 997 model with an updated version? I am considering one of these next spring and just wondered.

The 997 is not changing at all this year - other than being built at the Turf Care plant rather than in the Netherlands.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR
Here in Illinois we just had a major snow storm go through and it must be at least 2 months before any lawn mowing happens.

HOWEVER, I did visit dealers today in hopes of getting this ZTR project figured out.

The price difference is still $1500 higher for the Exmark. I'm getting prices on the Exmark Lazer Z LZ28KA605. That is the 28 hp Kawasaki with the Triton 60" deck.

The Deere is the 2007 757. IT has the 25 hp Kawasaki and the 60" 7 Iron deck.

I don't really want to go with all the electronic options of the new Deere models since this machine is for mowing on the farm, not for commercial lawn care.

I have had good dealings with both dealers, so the quality of the dealer is not a part of this equation.

One big difference I see is in the decks. The Triton deck seems to be heavier duty than the 7 Iron. Deere says right up front that this is a stamped deck, but they go on to say it provides better longevity (no welds to break).

This puts me back to original question last fall - is the Exmark worth $1,500 more. Please keep in mind that I am expecting any ZTR I purchase to last at least 10 - 15 years. $1,500 is a lot of money to me, but when you spread it over 15 years, the savings doesn't look so big.

BTW - the price on the Exmark is for the 2007 model, so I need to make up my mind in the near future, before all of them are sold. If I go to the 2008 model it is another $300 ($1800 difference in price)

Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts and ideas.