Explain the 4WD function to me......

/ Explain the 4WD function to me...... #1  

ProFord

Tractor
2000 Century 2035
I noticed that both front wheels dont pull togetger all the time when locked in. They both would while leveling some gravel in a flat environment...I could visually see both spinning at times. I was digging some dirt out of a big pile in my field tonight and noticed both idnt spin...but this was not level ground. I tire was on part of the pile and the other at the bottom of the pile in an angle sorta. The tire with full contact on the pile was not pulling or spinning. The one at the bottom of the pile was digging a rut....LOL I did some searching in the owning and operating section of the foorums and seems that this could be normal? True? I know this is an elementry ? but I am green!:D

/ Explain the 4WD function to me...... #2  
It is normal to see only one front tire tire pulling,You will notice as you turn the wheel it will switch to the other side. Only one of the rear tires will pull as well unless the diff lock is depressed. This is common for most tractors. If all 4 were "locked" you would have a tough time turning and the lawn would be a mess

/ Explain the 4WD function to me......
Thanks for the reply......I knew the rears only "Locked" together when the lock is applied. I didnt realize that under different circumstances the front would only pull with one. I thought it was both pulling all the time when 4wd was locked in for the front. Learn something new everyday.;)

/ Explain the 4WD function to me...... #4  
Which ever wheel has the less traction is gonna spin.
Seems kinda backwards but thats the way it is...
And yes if the frt was locked from side to side it would hardly steer,
when turning the outside wheel turns more than the other.
As for the rear, yes we have diff locks, but did ya know if you
have a rear wheel spinning that you could hit the brake to that wheel
and trick it into thinking the other wheel has less traction...diff action
FYI also this can work with trucks that are spinning..stuck..
You can apply the brake along with a little gas to try to make the other wheel
lock up...this can be a little tricky seeing how both brakes are being applyed.
Gene

/ Explain the 4WD function to me...... #5  
The front and rear have the standard differential with spider gears. So one side will slip if in loose material. I have gotten mine sort of stuck in 4 WD. I just stepped on the rear lock peddle and pulled right out. As the book says, don't engage the lock without pushing the clutch in first.

/ Explain the 4WD function to me......
Thanks for the explaination guys........Im trying to learn all I can. Thanks again.;)