Explain tractor tires to me, please.

/ Explain tractor tires to me, please. #1  

Learning to Farm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3750
Yet another newbie question, sorry.

Ok, so as I read posts people are talking about the tires in some of them. I have gotten that R# is talking about rear tires (F are fronts). I have Googled "differences in tractor tires" and all I get is sites selling them, none of them have tires like the Ford. I thought that the different R#s meant they would look different, but they don't. The Kubota has what I would call tractor tires, the Ford does not (even though they are tires on a tractor). It make my mind go:confused2:!

Thanks, I really appreciate all of you!

Attachments

• kubota.jpg
    kubota.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Ford.JPG
    Ford.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 200
   / Explain tractor tires to me, please. #2  
No, the R# is the type of tire, not Rear.

R1 = "Farming" or "Ag" tires with very deep treads that get max traction but are likely to tear up your yard's lawn grass

R4 = "Contractor" tires, a happy medium between R1 tires & Turf tires aka R3 tires (see next). These have a decent amount of tread, therefore grip, but aren't as likely to tear up lawn grass. These are nice & thick so don't puncture easily, therefore contractor's use them.

R3 = "Turf" tires. Very little tread. Easy on lawn grass. Not as good where traction is questionable, as in mud. I think these are typically thinner, too, so not as puncture resistent.

Typically all four of your tires (front & rea) will be the same, all four R4's for example. (but it doesn't "have" to be that way)

/ Explain tractor tires to me, please. #4  
Thanks for the quick reply, however this is why I said F tires are fronts.
Details: Crop Max Tractor Front F-2 11.00 -16 8PR BSW - tires-easy.com

OK, I see that. And that reminds me that I didn't mention the skinny, smooth front tractor tires ... mainly because I don't know anything about 'em!

Hopefully somebody else on here will chime in, but I suspect those are called F tires simply because you'd only ever see a no-tread tire like that on the front of a 2WD tractor, where those tires would never be trying to get traction linear traction. I suspect the tall ridges are to get "traction" when turning.

And why do R4s come between R1s and R3s?

No idea. I just know what they look like & kinda how to describe them.

/ Explain tractor tires to me, please. #6  
My definition of skinny front tires. Single rib and or multirib, as on the front of ford8n?

/ Explain tractor tires to me, please. #7  
   / Explain tractor tires to me, please. #8  
   / Explain tractor tires to me, please.
Beppington,

I will take any knowledge I can get and I am just learning, the reason you gave for Fs sounds plausible to me. Thanks for trying!

FWJ,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I found this: http://www.titanstore.com/pdf/AvailPatterns.pdf on the site you gave me. I will look at it when I get a minute tonight, now off to mow :thumbsup:

Thanks to both of you.

/ Explain tractor tires to me, please. #10  
Bascially you have the bar-lug rear drive tires- these are the chevron pattern tires with the deep lugs. They may vary in design like to have stepped lugs or equal length. There's also a rice paddy service bar lug with a different angle lug and a scoop shape. Think of this like a combat boot.

Then there's the commercial service tires, like you see on skid steers and industrial tractors. They have to ride smooth on hard pavement but still give good traction on dirt. They have wider, flatter tread elements. These are like hiking boots.

Then you get into the turf tires. These are usually wide, flat, even tread made of interlocking squares or diamonds so as not to dig into the ground but float on top. These are like running shoes.

Next we have the front steer tires with the ribs, they are to provide side resistance to prevent the front axle from being pushed sideways when turning.

Then we have the implement rib tires, they are intended to carry weight without sinking, and need no more tread than to keep from hydroplaning while towing.

Then you get into smooth tires for special applications.