Extended, high rise hitch bar

/ Extended, high rise hitch bar #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
My JD 4210 came from the factory with a flat, short hitch bar that slides into the receiver under the rear axle housing. I use a 6X12 aluminum utiity trailer for moving brush, firewood, materials, etc. around here, and the factory hitch bar is almost useless for attaching that trailer..too low, and too short. My trailer tongue jack would hit the 3-point lift arms while turning very sharply.

Last year, I purchased a used, curved drawbar at a garage sale for $5. I drilled a pair of half inch holes through a 2-inch receiver hitch bar I had lying around that matched up with the holes in the end of the drawbar, then sanded, primed, and painted both sections and bolted them together. I don't have a welder, and to me, a cheapskate at heart, the grade 5 bolts I already had would work just as well as paying someone to weld things for me.

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 322
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 294
   / Extended, high rise hitch bar #2  
Curious to see what others think about IF it could cause issues with the front end getting 'light' with it being so far back..

Brian

/ Extended, high rise hitch bar
Curious to see what others think about IF it could cause issues with the front end getting 'light' with it being so far back..

Brian

Might not work for everyone IF you carry a heavy tongue load but my utility trailer only weighs 800 pounds empty (aluminum) and I so rarely have much of a load in it so I can easily pick the tongue up when needed to hitch it up. Have had my 6200 lb travel trailer attached to the OEM drawbar and that never seemed to lighten the front much. Good point though, appreciate your input.

/ Extended, high rise hitch bar #4  
I understand your need.. I thought I would be smart one time and aerate and mow at the same time.. BUT I had not entered the fact that the 3pt arms drop when mowing, and they kept hitting the aerator during turns.. LOL

Brian

/ Extended, high rise hitch bar #5  
I'm go with a TLAR guess that the bar will bend and/or the bolts will fail before you lift the front end off the ground.

/ Extended, high rise hitch bar #6  
I like it. I would also compliment the grounds keeper.

Thanks from the groundskeeper...

Hitched the trailer up for the first time today, with 130 pounds of empty trailer tongue weight and my 170 pounds standing atop the tongue, I measured an inch of sag at the ball.

It's a little more flexy than I would prefer but will work fine for my purposes.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 253
   / Extended, high rise hitch bar #8  
Nice draw bar for 5.00, it should be fine for that size/ weight trailer.

But I would prefer a ball on a horizontal draw bar, or better yet, if you have a QH...

images

images

Attachments

• DSC04434.jpg
    DSC04434.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC04430.jpg
    DSC04430.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 264
   / Extended, high rise hitch bar #9  
Here is my version that I think works really well. A friend gave me a universal Hitch kit that didn't work for him on his import. I hunted through my workshop and found the thing and went to work. Cut down the cross bar from a center point so both mounting brackets fit flush to my ballast box. Drilled 6 5/8" holes and bolted it on. Works well in that I don't have to leave the seat to hitch on to any of my three trailers. I can pick up my boat without having to leave the seat, move it to where I want it , set it down and go cut the grass where I keep it and replace it without getting off. I love it. The ball being as far back of the rear wheels makes it a breeze in handling a tow

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 242
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 213
Here is my version that I think works really well. A friend gave me a universal Hitch kit that didn't work for him on his import. I hunted through my workshop and found the thing and went to work. Cut down the cross bar from a center point so both mounting brackets fit flush to my ballast box. Drilled 6 5/8" holes and bolted it on. Works well in that I don't have to leave the seat to hitch on to any of my three trailers. I can pick up my boat without having to leave the seat, move it to where I want it , set it down and go cut the grass where I keep it and replace it without getting off. I love it. The ball being as far back of the rear wheels makes it a breeze in handling a tow

You can go fancy like you did, or you can go cheap like I did...do I interpret your method as saying you don't have to leave the seat to lock the coupler onto the ball? Even with a lot of weight on the trailer tongue, I would hestitate to move a trailer without locking the coupler down.

Man, I wish I had a friend who would give ME something like your friend did.