extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw?

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #11  
DieselPower said:
A left hand drill bit has the flutes going in the opposite direction of a regular drill bit. It is used in the counter clockwise direction and thereby often times uncrews the screw while you are drilling it.

And they can work quite well at times, much better than an easyout IMO :)

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #12  
If it's as tiny as you say welding to it may prove very difficult. also find a left hand drill bit is not easy. What I usually do is drill it out with a normal bit as large as possible and then use a small prick punch to cut out the remaining pieces. I've never had one that once the whole center is gone won't just about collapse.

Andy

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #13  
If the torx doesn't work, and you have the welder, get a nut about the same size as the head of the stripped screw and lay it on top of the existing head. Fill the old screw and the new nut up with weld and let cool. Then put a wrench on it and have at it.
This also works well for screws that have broken off at or below the surface and need to be removed. I never have had much luck with an "easy out".
David from jax

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #14  
Assuming you even have a welder, I can't imagine doing much welding on something described as "pretty tiny". I use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, cut a screwdriver slot and screw it out.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #15  
sandman2234 said:
I never have had much luck with an "easy out".
David from jax

My success rate with easy outs is that almost 100% of them break trying to do their job. For me at least "easy out" their not.

I still say, drill as much as you can and then cut/chisel out the rest.

Andy

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #16  
I spent over twenty years of my life as a professional outboard mechanic in a salt water environment. Stripped and wrung off bolts were a daily thing. Easy outs were a joke as were the left hand drill bits. If those things would have worked the bolt would have come out in the first place without stripping or wringing off. My most reliable method of removal was a good, hard drill bit and a slow drill with plenty of cutting fluid. I'd carefully cut the entire bolt out with the drill, threads and all, then install a helicoil thread repair insert. Worked like a champ, but was tedious going getting those stainless steel bolts out of aluminum casings. Working on stuff that hasn't been exposed to salt water is a treat for me. Maybe some of the less drastic methods suggested would work. I like the torx bit idea.

Good luck with it.

Tom

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #17  
You can get LH drill bits from McMaster Carr or MSC. As far as I know, they have no ordering minimum.

Left hand drills are successful so often because they provide torque in the the direction needed while simultaneously relieving the gripping action as they remove metal. At some point, usually before you drill all the way through, the remaining threads cannot resist the torque of the drill cutting chips and the bolt backs out.

In this case, I would first try the next size larger hex bit. Pound it in; many times the pounding action works like one of those hand-held impact tools.

If that doesn't work, try the LH drill.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #18  
normde2001 said:
Assuming you even have a welder, I can't imagine doing much welding on something described as "pretty tiny". I use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, cut a screwdriver slot and screw it out.

OK, just because I guess, if I can attach the photo

The left side is somebody's easy out end..... got to love those
Next is a 4mm cs screw, out of an aluminum housing
6mm stud
2 6mm screws
An 8mm stainless stud from a volvo penta outdrive, broken 1/2" down into the hole of the aluminum outdrive.

When you heat (weld) on the bolt, it tends to expand and contract and break the "bond" between the fastener and the hardware.

Does not always work, but if I only had one shot, small fastener, that is where I would go.

If you do not think aluminum is magnetic, try drilling a hard steel small bolt out of a chunk of aluminum and see if your drill bit is not powerfully attracted to the softer aluminum :)

Good luck getting your bolt out.

Attachments

• DSCN1644.JPG
    DSCN1644.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 645
   / extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #19  
AlanB, Something makes me think you're not just the average TBN welder. MikeD74T

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #20  
<If you do not think aluminum is magnetic, try drilling a hard steel small bolt out of a chunk of aluminum and see if your drill bit is not powerfully attracted to the softer aluminum>

Now THAT is funny! "I don't care who ya are"