Eye Brow for Metal Building???

/ Eye Brow for Metal Building??? #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I‘m looking for ideas fo designing and building an eye brow on a metal building.

I'm wanting it to cover the area above the 10’ garage door in the attached picture.

My concerns are I may cause the metal building sheeting to rust.

Attachments

• IMG_4104.jpeg
    IMG_4104.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
   / Eye Brow for Metal Building??? #2  
I don't understand your concern about rust. Just don't expose cut edges or treat those that are. Zee flashing below eve,simple shed above door and diagonal 2x brace on both sides of door and you have it covered.
How far out do you want cover to extend?

/ Eye Brow for Metal Building??? #3  
My concerns are I may cause the metal building sheeting to rust.
I'm not familiar with the term "eyebrow" as it relates to a building, but I'm assuming you're talking about an overhang over the door? If that's correct, there's no reason that that would make the siding rust if it's installed correctly. Depending on the roof pitch and how far out you want to go the best option may be to extend the roof further out over the door. If that's not an option for some reason, you can bring an overhand out from underneath the existing eave. We need more information.

/ Eye Brow for Metal Building??? #4  
You don't have enough vertical space for one.
By the time you create a little 4" fascia, allow another 4" for the pitch of its "roof" and put whatever trim around the door opening It's going to be be tight up against the little overhang that's existing.
Just my opinion and experience, but it's not going to look right. Typically there in a gable end above the door and bring a little touch of a design feature to an otherwise blank wall area.

/ Eye Brow for Metal Building???
I don't understand your concern about rust. Just don't expose cut edges or treat those that are. Zee flashing below eve,simple shed above door and diagonal 2x brace on both sides of door and you have it covered.
How far out do you want cover to extend?
Ideally, I'd like it come out 36" total with a 6" overhang so the framing would come out 32" if it is to match the current overhang.

My concern with rust is if the eyebrow structure materials and the metal building's siding move/expand at differing rates will moisture and dust/grit get between the siding and the eyebrow and cause rust.

Last edited:
   / Eye Brow for Metal Building??? #6  
Ideally, I'd like it come out 36" total with a 6" overhang so the framing would come out 32" if it is to match the current overhang.

My concern with rust is if the eyebrow structure materials and the metal building's siding move/expand at differing rates will moisture and dust/grit get between the siding and the eyebrow and cause rust.
You shouldn't be mounting things like that to the surface of the siding. The siding should come off, build the overhang and then siding put back on around it with the proper trim, J-channel etc. You use the term "metal building". Hard to tell from your picture. Does this structure have a metal frame as well, or is it wood framed?

/ Eye Brow for Metal Building???
You shouldn't be mounting things like that to the surface of the siding. The siding should come off, build the overhang and then siding put back on around it with the proper trim, J-channel etc. You use the term "metal building". Hard to tell from your picture. Does this structure have a metal frame as well, or is it wood framed?
Its got metal framing too.

/ Eye Brow for Metal Building??? #8  
Its got metal framing too.
I see. No way to say exactly how to build this without seeing interior framing, but either way, it should not be fastened on top of the siding.