F-550 Pickup

/ F-550 Pickup #11  
One of the Pgh Steelers had one of those monsters...it was pretty cool. I believe it was even bigger than the 450...had the dually bed on it though.

/ F-550 Pickup
A cab/chassis is a different length (by about 4") from the rear of the cab to the wheels, so to get a standard bed to fit, you have to (well, would want to) add a spacer between the cab and bed. This can also, of course, be done with some body-work.

You might be right about the spacer. I recall the front of the bed looking thicker than normal. I should have snapped a few pix with the cell phone; but didn't think about it.

I saw a Ford F650 with a Pickup Bed this weekend going through Wytheville Va. Good looking truck that had a Bed really up in the air. Did not take a picture but looked like this one:

2008 FORD F650 XLT Other Trucks For Sale At TruckPaper.com

That F-650 pickup is a short drive up I-25 from me.

Here is an outfit that makes custom F-650 pickups. Note the 6-door crewcabs they offer. f650supertruck.com

/ F-550 Pickup #14  
As stated earlier, the cab and chassis F450 and F550 have wheel bases that are 4" longer than their factory F350 F450 dually factory brothers. There are upfitter companies out their that will take those cab and chassis units and put a dually bed or toter bed on those units for a pretty penny. Until Ford started offering the F450 with the dually bed option from the factory this was the only option available for those who wanted the extra hauling capacity of the F450cor F550 chassis. Here are a of those upfitter few companies.

F-550 Box

custom truck beds

Last edited:
   / F-550 Pickup #15  
Pretty sure cab & chassis can be ordered whatever wheel base you want.

Cab and chassis are also narrow frame.

/ F-550 Pickup #16  
Good point on the narrow frame. Requires custom mounts from the frame to the bed if the mod is done and also thing like trailer hitches are different.

Chris

/ F-550 Pickup #17  
Pretty sure cab & chassis can be ordered whatever wheel base you want.

Cab and chassis are also narrow frame.

The F-450/550 crew cab comes in your choice of 2 wheel bases, 176.2 and 200.2.
The super cab comes in 2 choices, 161.8, and 185.8.
The regular cab has 4 to choose from, 140.8, 164.8, 188.8, and 200.8.
Looks like these WB numbers are to give the standard C/A of 60, 84, 108, or 120 inches for upfitters to mount standard aftermarket beds.
These numbers are from the 2010 chassis cab brochure..

Last edited: