F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup)

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #21  
That's exactly what I said when I bought my Excursion. None of the other SUVs will pull my 6000 pound horse trailer.... no matter how much high test rice you put in them.

The X is the 'poster child' for the Sierra Club's rants about petroleum useage. But how many of the millions of SUVs, driven by soccer moms, ever see a dirt road let alone off road. Since I won't be able to replace my X with another, I think I will buy an F-650 Custom Pickup just to spite the Sierra Club. Of course I will have a lot of fun driving it. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #22  
I've seen used ones on the internet for around 8K. I've considered it myself.

Do a search on Unimog. There are some surplus outfits selling them.

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #23  
Not just for off-road, either.

Personally, I like the ride and style of the Unimog over the Hummer or even the new H2. The Unimog is also far roomier inside. Once again, though, we get into the need for a CDL to drive one.

Freightliner has sold the Mercedes Benz unit here for a number of years primarily as an off road fire fighting machine. Various pieces of fire fighting equipment are available as factory options.

They're quite a bit bigger than a Hummer. They're around eight feet wide, ten and a half feet tall and weigh in at almost fifteen tons. They're rated at 10 mpg of diesel, but, of course, your mileage may vary. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 6-189673-funmog001.jpg
    6-189673-funmog001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 135
   / F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #24  
<font color=blue>None of the other SUVs will pull my 6000 pound horse trailer....</font color=blue>

My '97 Expedition is rated to tow 8K. Sounds like there's 2K to spare.

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #25  
Well i've got both a 92 and a 96 PONTIAC BONNIVILLE WITH
superchargers from factory

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #26  
Like I said,not many...

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup)
Gary,
I like the looks of the Unimog over the hummer.
And apperars to me like you would get more bang for your buck with the Unimog./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #28  
By the time you put two horses in the trailer, don't even try three or four horses, and gear your expedition will be way overloaded. The X can haul four horses, gear, etc. with no problems.

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #29  
There was one on display at our small, country fair. With a CAT diesel under the hood, 26 000 lb towing capacity and a price tag of 135k CDN. I'm pretty sure I could buy a second hand Peterbilt for less.

/ F-650 Custom Pickup Conversion(now heres a pickup) #30  
While I agree that the Expedition would handle my trailer, for not much more money I got
- more room
- greater payload
- V10
- solid axle

and a LOT more road presence. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif