F series F3060 tire chains?

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #11  
Nice tires, these would work great in snow, not too sure about hard pack and ice surface, you may still need weight Chris,
John, check this out....
DSC_0570.jpgDSC_0565.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0564.jpg
    DSC_0564.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 314
   / F series F3060 tire chains? #13  
Dan, black rims look good, may paint mine when I get these bar tires off and put my original turfs back on.
I posted pics for potential buyer to see them. I don't mow in snow or mud so I prefer turf tires on my Fs.

/ F series F3060 tire chains?
I am wondering if anyone with an F series has installed tire chains, specifically on the steering tires?
I bought appropriate sized chains for my 18x9.5-8 tires, and was dismayed that they interfered with the hub/knuckle/spindle behind the wheel when installed.
I use my F3060 for snowblowing, and found that last year I was a bit light in the rear end and had limited steering traction. I will add a bit more weight to the rear this year, but really want to get chains on.

Steering wheel/tire data:
-18x9.5-8
-3" backspacing (rear hub face of wheel to edge of steel rim)
-4x100mm bolt pattern with 67.1mm hub

I was hoping to stay away from spacers, but right now these seem to be my best option:
View attachment 343538
These are 38mm thick (1.5"), and do have the hub centric 67.1mm.
I ran a set like this on my 2000 GMC K2500 to space the rears out to match the track of the front and they did work out well.

Thanks all, I appreciate your input and creative solutions!
Chris

I wanted to update this thread now that I have installed the spacers and put a little time in on them.
-the correct hub size is 70.1mm, not the 67.1 that I previously mentioned (and ordered). After getting the correct hub centric spacer, all was good.
-I have about 200 pounds on top of my original counterweight... I think another 50 pounds or so is going to balance things out properly. Once I find my "ideal" weight, then I will start fabricating. I suspect that may wait until warmer weather (like JUNE!). I like the idea of loaded tires, but will wait until I get a second set to keep it "light" for mowing.
-the tire chains have made a tremendous difference in steering. That and the extra weight this year have made close quarter work much more predictable.

2013-12-18 19.27.35.jpg2013-12-18 19.13.08.jpg2013-12-18 19.28.02.jpg

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #15  
You could add about 200 lbs to the rear.

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #16  
I wanted to update this thread now that I have installed the spacers and put a little time in on them.
-the correct hub size is 70.1mm, not the 67.1 that I previously mentioned (and ordered). After getting the correct hub centric spacer, all was good.
-I have about 200 pounds on top of my original counterweight... I think another 50 pounds or so is going to balance things out properly. Once I find my "ideal" weight, then I will start fabricating. I suspect that may wait until warmer weather (like JUNE!). I like the idea of loaded tires, but will wait until I get a second set to keep it "light" for mowing.
-the tire chains have made a tremendous difference in steering. That and the extra weight this year have made close quarter work much more predictable.

View attachment 352095View attachment 352096View attachment 352097

Looks very good Chris, and thanks for the hub spacer size and supplier name. I think I'll do the same thing.

Dan

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #17  
Hi Dan, Back down-under again and my F2880 is doing fine after having to rebuild much of the steer-axle (machine has 1600 hrs of hard commercial use), but I have put my idea of a "JohnyBucket" set up on hold again as still looks like too big a deal to quickly swap-out with the mower. I do still want to add some more weight to the back end and like your solution of a second factory cast weight. How much does it weigh? Cost?

Happy New Year!

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #18  
Hi Dan, Back down-under again and my F2880 is doing fine after having to rebuild much of the steer-axle (machine has 1600 hrs of hard commercial use), but I have put my idea of a "JohnyBucket" set up on hold again as still looks like too big a deal to quickly swap-out with the mower. I do still want to add some more weight to the back end and like your solution of a second factory cast weight. How much does it weigh? Cost?
Hi Rip,
My dealer let me have a used one for 50, they routinely take off the factory weights and install 4 - 55Lbs cast iron weights on a bulky mounting bracket which sticks way out the rear and which hits trees due to the swing-out on turns, especially while I was getting used to the tractor rear steering:thumbsup: I used 2 - 2-1/2 by 1/2" bolts, + nuts, flats and lock washers, a bit of bondo and paint, it didn't really cost too much at all and weighs 212 vs the the 226 Lbs for the suitcase weights.
If you need more weight, I'd add antifreeze, maybe 2 gallons in each rear tire (used stuff if you can get it). I had that in my cub, front and rear tires, for 15 years, installed new tires last summer and the rims (inside) looked brand new.
All the best to you as well for the New Year

Dan

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #19  
Hi Dan, While I can understand the flexibility of suitcase weights, still surprised the dealer would automatically remove the single factory weight and replace with the suitcase (must be making too good a profit). I do see on the current K site the factory now uses suitcase weights on some of the bigger models that can handle V large mower heads. I will check with the one (three branches though) Kubota dealer here in Tas for possible used or new price. Any chance you would have a part number?

Regarding your reinforced mounting, do you really think I will need to do similar or likely get by with just mounting a second weight to my original?? A second weight sure looks like the simplest (and neatest) solution. I already loaded the main tires with antifreeze (more for anti-corrosion than freeze protection), and still may do the rears, but did not figure that 4 gallons/ea would be enough by itself to make much difference for the rear. May reconsider if no used cast weights and too $$$ for a new one. Cheers, Rip

/ F series F3060 tire chains? #20  
Hi Dan, While I can understand the flexibility of suitcase weights, still surprised the dealer would automatically remove the single factory weight and replace with the suitcase (must be making too good a profit). I do see on the current K site the factory now uses suitcase weights on some of the bigger models that can handle V large mower heads. I will check with the one (three branches though) Kubota dealer here in Tas for possible used or new price. Any chance you would have a part number?

Regarding your reinforced mounting, do you really think I will need to do similar or likely get by with just mounting a second weight to my original?? A second weight sure looks like the simplest (and neatest) solution. I already loaded the main tires with antifreeze (more for anti-corrosion than freeze protection), and still may do the rears, but did not figure that 4 gallons/ea would be enough by itself to make much difference for the rear. May reconsider if no used cast weights and too $$$ for a new one. Cheers, Rip

Hi Rip,
The weight PN is K353151315, and it weighs 106.7 Lbs.
You don't need to reinforce the rear plate at all as you will be using the same 4 mounting bolts anyway. I did this mod as i said earlier, only because I tend to over-design everything I modify. Regarding cost, at the rate dealers are swapping out factory counterweight, your dealer should have a stash of them kicking around.
There is one more small item (which I forgot) which you will need to do so that the casting will fit tightly against the frame end support plate, and that is to create a recess (2 small holes) in the forward facing surface of the casting at the plate upper mounting bolts. This will provide a pocket in the casting for the bolt heads to fit into. I used a 5/8" drill bit. The casting is very soft so this task took hardly any effort. Lastly, a placed a thick glob of silicone around the edge between both weights to prevent water from getting in there and rust leaching out later-on.

Good luck buying the weight and please let me know how this turns out for you

Dan