F1200 making noise and locking and front wheels locking up in when 4wd is desingadged

/ F1200 making noise and locking and front wheels locking up in when 4wd is desingadged #1  

Kenfranklinl

Tractor
ford 1200
Hi all, my dependable little 1980 F1200 may have finally failed me. When trying to move it it make some clunking sound which seems to be in the rear end and will lock up. If I disengage the 4wd the front wheels will move and then lock up. This happens in forward and reverse. Anyone have any ideas of what the problem is and what it will take to repair it? I'm very mechanical but if it means splitting the tractor I don't know if I have it in me to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My yard is all torn apart because I was in the middle of putting in a new lawn and sprinkler system.

Thanks, Ken

/ F1200 making noise and locking and front wheels locking up in when 4wd is desingadged
So I did a little trouble shooting. I got all four wheels off the ground and put it in gear. In 2wd it seems OK. I even put the breaks on to cause a load and I got no noise or locking up. when I put in 4wd it locks up or sounds like the rear end is grinding\binding. I was thinking the front drive shaft u joint might be coming apart so I got under and remove the rubber sleeve that covers it and it seams OK but maybe under load it may have an issue or something in the 4 WD is broken. I'm hoping its the drive shaft. I think if I can remove the drive shaft maybe I can still use the tractor. Unless its a problem in the front axle !!!!!!

Anyone know how I can remove the shaft. This way I find out if its the U joint,, front axel, or worst case something in the 4WD. If I can run it for now with the shaft out and the front wheels don't lock up I will be able to finish my yard and do any major repairs that need to be done later.