Tire Selection F150 4x4 tire question

/ F150 4x4 tire question #21  
Single drive rear wheel? Both rear wheels drive, unless one is on ice; a differential sends equal torque to both wheels.

Any truck I have ever owned spins one rear wheel. In 4x4 one in back and one in the front of a part time 4x4 Ford. Some trucks have a posi locker in the rear from the factory but it has to be switched on. The only system that sends power to different wheels is AWD like I have in my Taurus SHO.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #22  
Any truck I have ever owned spins one rear wheel. In 4x4 one in back and one in the front of a part time 4x4 Ford. Some trucks have a posi locker in the rear from the factory but it has to be switched on. The only system that sends power to different wheels is AWD like I have in my Taurus SHO.

Depending upon where your live and how you use the vehicle; your "open" differentials may serve very well. For off roading, farm use where the truck may be on slick wet pasture and mud, or snow use; your next choice of truck should at least include limited slip differentials. Torsion differentials are better yet, and maybe the best option would be to order with selectable locker in rear and Torsion in front. Limited slip seems like a good concept, but when used more than just a little the pressure plates wear-out and leave you with open differentials again; which is as you said, basically two wheel drive -- one in front and one in rear when on slippery surfaces.

prs

/ F150 4x4 tire question #23  
Depending upon where your live and how you use the vehicle; your "open" differentials may serve very well. For off roading, farm use where the truck may be on slick wet pasture and mud, or snow use; your next choice of truck should at least include limited slip differentials. Torsion differentials are better yet, and maybe the best option would be to order with selectable locker in rear and Torsion in front. Limited slip seems like a good concept, but when used more than just a little the pressure plates wear-out and leave you with open differentials again; which is as you said, basically two wheel drive -- one in front and one in rear when on slippery surfaces.

prs

Agreed..

/ F150 4x4 tire question #24  
I have a 2011 F150. Front two tires wore out so I went into my small town local tire shop, not a chain store, to get two to match original OEM tires. He had a guy that bought 5 new tires and left his unused spare at the tire shop. I put on my unsed spare, his unused spare, and put the best used one on the spare rim. The spare tire is that same as the four working tires. Total cost of tire, mount and balance was $75. Will do me for a couple years and them I'll probably buy five new ones myself.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #25  
I have a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4. It still has the original tires, P235/75R17, plus a full sized spare of the exact same type and size. A couple of weeks ago I had a flat (rock cut), and had the tire repaired. I would rather not take long highway drives on that tire any more, but rather use it as the spare. The tires that have been on the road still have 3/16" tread, but the only once used spare has 3/8" of tread. Would it hurt my truck if I swapped the nearly unused spare to one of the aluminum rims and used the repaired tire as the spare? Would the tire with 3/16 more tread make enough difference to damage the drive train?

I get ambiguous "it depends" answers from tire dealers and our dealership.
OK before I read all this post and the replies....You have a 2010 WITH THE ORIGINAL TIRES!!! You must not drive much??:confused:

/ F150 4x4 tire question #26  
I would run it, you will never know other than looking at it and it wont hurt a thing.

/ F150 4x4 tire question
This has been resolved. I bought five new tires in a larger size. Please see my previous post. Thank you.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #28  
I didn't keep track of the OP. Haha sorry. And ot makes more sense why you posted your tires to my tire thread now! Haha

/ F150 4x4 tire question #29  

Actually, since one wheel (if, say, is on ice) can only take n torque, the open differential delivers no more to the other side. But most of the time, both tires are delivering usable torque to the ground.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #30  

Even in "4 x 4 Low" on the newer F-150's?