F2400 Starting Problems

/ F2400 Starting Problems #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I love plowing snow with my F2400.

Just recently, the ignition will not activate what so ever.

It was 12 degrees in the shed. I acticated the glow plugs for 20-30 seconds, and nothing happened when I tried to start.

I put a new battery in the tractor last fall, and I know there is lots of available electrical power.

Any ideas? Is there a sensor or something to not start if the glow plugs have not adequately heated?

I had a similar problem last week when it was warmer - say 20-25 degrees. I went thru the sequence of events again, and the Kubota did come to life and worked without issue.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ F2400 Starting Problems #2  
This is a classic situation with F2400s and B2400s. The problem is that the wiring harness is getting old and not enough voltage is getting to the solenoid to engage the starter motor. I started a thread about a year ago on this topic when I was having the same problem. If you do a search of "F2400" you will find it. I followed the lead of others and put a realy in the feed circuit to the starter solenoid. The attached wiring diagram shows how I did it. If my tractor has been sitting for a few days and the switch is in the "Direct" position, the starter will engage sometimes and not others. I never have a problem if the engine is warm. If the engine is cold and the solenoid just clicks when the switch is in the "Direct" position, I flick the switch to the "Relay" position and the starter will engage. It is not necessary to put the switch in the circuit. The relay could be hard wired into the circuit so that it is always activated. To do so connect the feed wire to terminal 85 of the relay and the solenoid lead to terminal 87.

P.S. I used a standard Bosch 40 amp relay and female connector- they are readily available at most auto parts stores. Note these are five prong relays and terminal 87a is not used.

As a short term solution, connect a jumper wire to the positive (+) terminal of the battery and touch the other end to the solenoid terminal on the starter motor.

Attachments

• Solenoid wiring schematic3.jpg
    Solenoid wiring schematic3.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 3,067
Last edited:
   / F2400 Starting Problems
Thanks Howard - very helpful.

It is -5 degrees this morning so it will not we worked on anytime soon.

I am lucky to have another tractor with a snow blower on the back of it to get most of the snow out of the way. It does an ok job - but nothing too close as I hate to work in reverse.

I was glad I took the 4wd truck to go visit the property.

Yooper Dave