Fabricated vs Stamped Deck.

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #1  

97widerider

I previously posted "what to cut rough 2 acres with" and am strongly leaning towards a Garden Tracter instead of a ZTR. From what I have researched, ZTRs are better on smooth, established lawns. Now, should I make sure the GT has a fabricated deck instead of a stamped deck? Are they more durable? Worth the extra cash? Thanks in advance and thanks for those reponses to my earlier thread.

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #2  
There is no definitive answer to your question. Deere stamps some of their decks out of 7 guage steel (very thick!), and they will no doubt last longer than some cheaply made fabricated decks. The quality of craftsmanship and materials used mean more than the method of manufacturer I think.

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #3  
I never thought about it till now,,but would figure they was all stamped,,the other option would be make the deck outa flat steel plates and bend them and weld them,,don't seem like it would be done nowadays,,[if ever],,,but yeah the thickness would be the selling point,,not that one a little thicker would be that much better or last that much longer,,I've always used cheap lawnmowers and you would assume the thinest deck steel,,,and I got one 13 years old and its still just fine,,,never could figure the reason one manufactor advertises that their deck in a 1/64th of an inch thicker than competion,other than to sell them. now maybe how their made,,how they are formed,,might make a difference,,but don't know how you would prove something like that even,,unless you had it in a wind tunnle or something,,,thingy

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #4  
Most commercial decks today are fabricated using 10 to 7 gauge steel (0.134" to 0.180" thickness). We've broken even heavy gauge decks by hitting a stand pipe at full speed. Bruised up the unsuspecting rider too.

How heavy is heavy enough for what you want? It's fair to say quality comes in many forms.

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #5  
If you think you are likely to break a steel deck (stamped or fabricated) I think you need to evaluate what kind of machine you need.
Putting a hole in a steel deck is a serious task! You will destroy the rest of the tractor too (and probably quicker!)

If your ground is really that rough, any tractor that you find that is tough enough to take the beating will come with a suitable deck.

I would think you will be fine with either.

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #6  
Yeah guess if they was thick enough,,brushogs are fabricated thats for sure,they can stamp out some pretty thick stuff though,,,maybe if you wern't making them by the thousands it would be a good bit cheaper to fab them also,,,equipement to do that sort a stuff is not cheap I bet,,,,probably just a selling thing that some salesman do,[like many other things],,,in any case,bet the motor will wear out before the deck on about any of them,unless your cutting in salt water or something,,thing

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #7  
Everything will wear out eventually, regardless of maintenance. Of course the harder one is or the harder the job, the faster the deck will wear out. I can say that as far as rusting, if a deck is cleaned regularly and was of decent quality to begin with, getting 25+ years out of the deck body (with a few spindle repairs/replacements) should be easy to do, as I did it. If you are constantly banging in to foreign objects in your yard, you are obviously going to have a short deck life span and deserve just that. Failure to maintain the deck by running with worn spindles or worn anti scalp wheels will also dramatically shorten the deck life span along with giving poor cut quality. I also don't think if a deck is stamped or fabricated has much to do with how long it will last.
-Fordlords-

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #8  
My guess is that the stamped deck is the best of both worlds. They are likely cheaper to manufacture (less labor) and being smooth, they probably promote better air flow as well.

I would think another advantage is the lack of areas near the welds means less places for grass and water to collect (i.e. less rust).

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #9  
Joe is correct. The advantage of the stamped deck is that there are no weld seams or edges. It is easier to place baffles and help with cutting distribution. Also, stamped decks are usually deeper (not that fab decks can't be) which enhances airflow. In truth, durability wise, most higher end mower decks are durable and most of us would not render one useless, but I personally prefer the stamped deck.

John M

/ Fabricated vs Stamped Deck. #10  
As far as lawn and garden tractors go (excluding ZTR's) does anyone even make one, as far as a currently available new model, that uses a fabricated deck?
-Fordlords-