fall harvest 2017

/ fall harvest 2017 #11  
Coastal SC corn has been cut I think at least two weeks totally. Soybeans are at least a month away and not double crop ones either. We have had lot of rain and heat for much of July till about last two weeks and still are about 10 or more degrees above normal. Cotton is opening up. Peanuts have some fields dug but not many with most not touched yet. No idea where the sweet potato crop is and of course the tobacco is way finished.

Both of those farms in the pictures are great looking operations. With all our swamps you see very few fields say over forty acres around me.

/ fall harvest 2017 #12  
What sort of drone are you using?

I use an Autel X-Star Premium. I've had it since last February. Have flown many hours. I really enjoy doing it. Am often asked my friends to picture/video something for them. I diligently follow my friend's farming operation and have shot several great videos of their operation. I'm "chasing" them now trying to get video of harvesting Soybeans. I'll post it here when I catch them.

20170501_085126 (1280x720).jpg

/ fall harvest 2017 #13  
Coastal SC corn has been cut I think at least two weeks totally. Soybeans are at least a month away and not double crop ones either. We have had lot of rain and heat for much of July till about last two weeks and still are about 10 or more degrees above normal. Cotton is opening up. Peanuts have some fields dug but not many with most not touched yet. No idea where the sweet potato crop is and of course the tobacco is way finished.

Both of those farms in the pictures are great looking operations. With all our swamps you see very few fields say over forty acres around me.

My friend's house is in the middle of 1,000 acre field. That's exceptionally large here. I'd say our average is 40 acres. My friend owns 11,000 acres of tillable land. His Son's own another 3,000. They plant 20,000 or so each year.

He told me this morning they are 21% done with Soybeans and 46% done with corn. If the weather treats them good at all they'll be done by second week of November. That's early for them. Usually done in first week of December.

/ fall harvest 2017 #14  
I use an Autel X-Star Premium. I've had it since last February. Have flown many hours. I really enjoy doing it. Am often asked my friends to picture/video something for them. I diligently follow my friend's farming operation and have shot several great videos of their operation. I'm "chasing" them now trying to get video of harvesting Soybeans. I'll post it here when I catch them.

Thanks, I had a look and they are not available here so spare parts could be a problem, however, the DJI Mavic has similar specs and available locally, I do particularly like the 4K and your image quality was excellent.
I use a cheap drone and the quality is questionable and the range very limited.

/ fall harvest 2017 #15  
Thanks, I had a look and they are not available here so spare parts could be a problem, however, the DJI Mavic has similar specs and available locally, I do particularly like the 4K and your image quality was excellent.
I use a cheap drone and the quality is questionable and the range very limited.

Friend of mine has a Mavic. He "plays" with it and rarely takes pics or video. It has excellent range. In open terrain he can get 4 miles. I've never been able to exceed 1.2 miles. That's enty for me. If you buy one start a thread about it.

/ fall harvest 2017 #16  
   / fall harvest 2017 #17  
Friend of mine has a Mavic. He "plays" with it and rarely takes pics or video. It has excellent range. In open terrain he can get 4 miles. I've never been able to exceed 1.2 miles. That's enty for me. If you buy one start a thread about it.

Just bought it, first shot could be the aerial shot of a public castration when she who must be obeyed finds out how much it cost:eek:
All charged up and reading up on how not to crash but will wait a couple of days.

/ fall harvest 2017 #18  
Just bought it, first shot could be the aerial shot of a public castration when she who must be obeyed finds out how much it cost:eek:
All charged up and reading up on how not to crash but will wait a couple of days.

You WILL crash eventually. Just fly in open terrain and within sight for a few flights before getting bold. Steepest learning curve is adjusting to the viewer. I use a 10" tablet. Post any pics/videos you shoot.

/ fall harvest 2017 #19  
Thanks for the videos, love watching combines work.