Fall of the Manburb.

/ Fall of the Manburb. #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
After many years of faithful service, my 1994 GMC Suburban, dubbed by my friends as "The Manburb" because of the chainsaws, logging chains, axes, splitting mauls, ham radio, GPS and other "manly" gadgets and items that serve as permanent fixures, is ready to be retired with 235,000+ miles under her belt. I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a diesel pickup, since I regularly overwork the poor 'burb with towing duties above and beyond the call of duty.

Yesterday, we were heading out to the farm with some friends. My son, who had received his permit this summer, was driving, while I was attempting to relax and enjoy the ride. At one point, I remember shooting a glance at the dash just to check on his speed, when I noticed the temp gauge was pegged! I immediately told him to pull over and shut off the engine, while explaining at the same time how important it is to pay attention to the little gauges also. I asked how long it had been overheating, and of course, he had no idea.

To make a long story short, we managed to limp to a friends house, where we collectively decided that the thermostat had stuck, the "Manburb" had gone too far under the extreme heat generated by the lack of coolant flow, and I'm really not willing to invest any more money into a vehicle with so many miles, when it's really too underpowered for my needs as it is.

That being said, I've decided to start shopping for a diesel pickup. My preference is a 2003-2006 Dodge 2500, 4-door, 4X4, Cummins, I'd prefer a stick rather than an automatic, but in the used market, you take what you can find.

Wish me luck.

Joe

/ Fall of the Manburb. #2  
Yeah, you'll probably end up with an automatic tranny.
I've been watching 03 Ram 2500s on eBay lately

161Kmiles, $10.5K
127K miles, $12.75K
83K miles, $17.4K
175Kmiles, $9.4K
60Kmiles, $16.9K

/ Fall of the Manburb. #3  
Don't settle for the automatic tranny. Wait until you find the manual and go for the 6-speed.
2001, Ram 2500 with 135K, bought new. My goal 250K. Love that truck!:laughing:

/ Fall of the Manburb. #4  
I have a 2004.5 with the stick but I special ordered it that way from the factory. Based upon my search results when I bought it new there aren't many sticks.

/ Fall of the Manburb. #5  
Don't settle for the automatic tranny. Wait until you find the manual and go for the 6-speed.

X2! I'm a Stick Man! I know! I'm a relic, a dinasour but I like my shifter!:D:thumbsup: My '99 Stroker has 7.3, 6 speed and 255,000. Clutch lasted to right at 200,000. If only Ford could get it right with the clutch pedal pin bushing. I've bought at least 7-8 of these through the years and they've gone from $5 to 10 each! Not one of their "better ideas"!:D

/ Fall of the Manburb. #6  
X2! I'm a Stick Man! I know! I'm a relic, a dinasour

Ive got a automatic truck sitting on the property collecting mice because i havnt gotten around to replaceing the auto in it (i even have the spair replacement) but my yota with 240K miles on the org 5spd keeps tooling down the road. Recently blew a clutch line that ran to the slave cylinder on the way back from a road trip, speed shifted 300 miles home. :thumbsup:

ive lost count of the number of times ive bump started it from a dead battery. Not having the auto hunt for gears while towing and then decide to down shift 2 gears lower and peg the rpm's trying to get the power to pull something up the hill.... ill pass....

/ Fall of the Manburb. #7  

Shouldnt be hard you really ought to be pushing for 400K. My neighbors sonin law has a 98-2000 i think and has allready got 250k on it.

Heck my 4cyl ford ranger has 240K on it, so you should not have trouble.

/ Fall of the Manburb. #8  
That being said, I've decided to start shopping for a diesel pickup ...... Wish me luck.
Good luck !

My preference is a 2003-2006 Dodge 2500, 4-door, 4X4, Cummins, I'd prefer a stick rather than an automatic, but in the used market, you take what you can find.
Well ... I'm not lookin' to sell :D ..... but I'd like to provide a little encouragement: I have an '05 RAM that I purchased new from the dealer:

3500 SRW, 4-door Quad Cab, Cummins, 6 speed .... with all of less than 10K original miles on it .... only 11 more payments and I'll actually own it ... :D

If you look long and hard enough you never know what you might find. :thumbsup:

/ Fall of the Manburb. #9  
Good choice, I would hold out for the 6 speed. I've got an '03, 2500, quad cab, 4wd, 6 speed with 132K and still going strong.

/ Fall of the Manburb. #10  
If you want the 6 speed, get the 6 speed, don't skimp and go with what you don't want. That said, there are two 6 speeds offered in the Dodge Cummins trucks between 03 and 06. From 03' - the first half of 05', the nv5600 was available. From the 2nd half of 05' - 06+, the G56 was offered. Both the 3.73 & 4.10 rear end ratios were offered with the nv5600. The g56 however, is and was, only available with the 3.73 ratio. The biggest difference between the two transmissions is that the nv5600 has a more spread out gear set with a higher final drive ratio. The g56 on the other hand has a closer gear set with a final drive ratio that makes it similar to driving a 48re (auto transmission), and a 4.10 rear ratio. Without any rear end ratio changes, the nv5600 w/ 3.73's will give you better highway mileage. But, there is a 3.42 gear ratio available for the AAM axle in the rear end of the Cummins trucks from 03 - current MY. That can be swapped in if you want a later model truck and a lower cruising RPM.

:cool: