Fall seeding when is it too late?

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #1  

crown

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-7500
I live in the Northern Shenandoah Valley in VA, we are getting temps in the low 40's at night. I had wanted to overseed early in Oct. but it had been so dry, but lastly we got about a week of rain last week, so can I seed and get a decent stand?

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #2  
How well can you forecast the weather over the next several weeks? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If things are just right, it'll work. If they're just wrong, it won't work. Just have to gamble with your seed, and do like the farmers, and take a chance on the weather.

Maybe someone here has a better answer. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #3  
Whenever the ground is dry enough to work the dirt over after you seed it it is a good time. The seed will mostly stay dormant all winter but it will get alot of water on it all fall and will take root so come spring you'd better be ready to mow.

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #4  
I overseeded about a month ago and still have new grass sprouting, but it hasn't been as cold here as where you are. The ground temp has a lot to do with it, too, not just air temp.

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #5  
We just hayed about two weeks ago. I went looking for beaver the other day, and with all the rain, noticed the new sprouts coming up. We have not had the low 40's yet.

I'd say your on the edge. What about a winter rye?

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I overseeded about a month ago and still have new grass sprouting, but it hasn't been as cold here as where you are. The ground temp has a lot to do with it, too, not just air temp. )</font>
correct, the ground temp needs to be over 60 I think or the seeds will do zero.

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #7  
We are still seeding in the northwet. Only occasional drops into the low 40s. Average temps in the 50s. The season is getting short though and a nice frost on baby sprouts will burn them dead.

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #8  
I have been doing some over seeding in last three weeks. Some sprouts are coming up. How old do they have to be in order to survive the frost? I hope that we don't get too cold too soon.

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #9  
That depends on the severity of the frost, time until thaw, and density of the sprouts. I aim to have the grass tall enough to get tippy or waver in the wind. That length seems to trap a layer of warm air in a sort of insulating layer. Maybe I'm nuts, but the longer the better. Once everything is frozen or just once we are in the good cold part of the year then you can seed all you want and it will mostly lay dormant until spring.

/ Fall seeding when is it too late? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I aim to have the grass tall enough to get tippy or waver in the wind. That length seems to trap a layer of warm air in a sort of insulating layer. )</font>

Here's another point of view, FWIW.
The mill where I got my seed at said the shorter your grass the better. At least here in snow country. Their *grass expert* said that leaving it long when the weather starts to turn WILL create an insulating layer, and that's a bad thing, especially if you get some snow on top of it. I was told to mow it short and as late as possible to help the ground freeze quicker. This will put everything in its dormant stage and also prevent mold from forming under the bent grass and killing it because the ground is still warm and moist.

Not disagreeing with you Highbeam, just saying what I was told works where I'm at.... and everything he has told me so far has really brought back my yard from that draught we had.