rekees

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD4300 HST
God Gave U.S. 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says

By John F. Harris
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 14, 2001; Page C03

Television evangelists Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, two of the most prominent voices of the religious right, said liberal civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals and abortion rights supporters bear partial responsibility for Tuesday's terrorist attacks because their actions have turned God's anger against America.

"God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve," said Falwell, appearing yesterday on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club," hosted by Robertson.

"Jerry, that's my feeling," Robertson responded. "I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population."

Falwell said the American Civil Liberties Union has "got to take a lot of blame for this," again winning Robertson's agreement: "Well, yes."

Then Falwell broadened his blast to include the federal courts and others who he said were "throwing God out of the public square." He added: "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.' "

People for the American Way transcribed the broadcast and denounced the comments as running directly counter to President Bush's call for national unity. Ralph G. Neas, the liberal group's president, called the remarks "absolutely inappropriate and irresponsible."

Robertson and others on the religious right gave critical backing to Bush last year when he was battling for the GOP presidential nomination. A White House official called the remarks "inappropriate" and added, "The president does not share those views."

Falwell was unrepentant, saying in an interview that he was "making a theological statement, not a legal statement."

"I put all the blame legally and morally on the actions of the terrorist," he said. But he said America's "secular and anti-Christian environment left us open to our Lord's [decision] not to protect. When a nation deserts God and expels God from the culture . . . the result is not good."

Robertson was not available for comment, a spokeswoman said. But she released a statement echoing the remarks he made on his show. An ACLU spokeswoman said the group "will not dignify the Falwell-Robertson remarks with a comment."

Chuck in IN

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #2  
Who really gives a rats @$$ what Falwell or Roberts says. Anyone who wheedles money from old women on social security can' be too much in my book!!

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #3  
Agreed, jimmoore. They are as bad as Jennings & the senator/congressman [don't remember which] from Mass. that criticized Bush for not coming back to Washington sooner.

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #4  
My sentiments exactly, Jim.

Bird

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #5  
Seems an awful lot like the idiotic shut being spouted by them a$$holes runnin Afganistan.
Them two sunsabitches will say or do anything they can to fleece another buck out of some dottering old fart. Sort of makes me wonder witch one of them coached Jim Jones.

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #6  
Boy isn't that the truth Jim. I do agree about the moral decay of our society but these guys went too far this time.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #7  
Well, while they were at it why didn't they go ahead and tell us what Jim Baker had to say?

Ernie

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #8  
They are about as far out as the radical muslims.

Alan L., TX

/ Falwell and Robertson say U.S. deserved it #9  
Saw a post on another board that suggested they could be honorary members of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

I think without general acceptance of another's religion, beliefs etc, there can be no hope for any peace.

The people in the middle hardly get noticed, it's usually just the lunatic fringe. I would think by this they have not only lost any hope of attracting any middle of the roaders to their "cause" they've probably lost some of the far right as well.

del