fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango
Ken, might have one more question / imposition for ya.

does your manual say how to remove the blower fan?

I think I'll be pulling his fan as well... his machine had some serious problems. i already replaced the vacume manifold that goes from the dash mounted switches.. and the switch bank itself. looks like motor is going as fan drags.

if it has the info,if you wouldn't mind... just shorthand it for me. by the way.. really appreciate the resistor location info.. was a huge help.

( hope the one on my dodge ram never fails.. I'll bet it's a similar hassle!

thanks

soundguy

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango #12  
I couldn't find the blower motor on my 02 Ram (who expected a PLASTIC motor) so I had my dealer replace the first resistor. Found a mouse nest in the fan impellor had taken out the fusible link at the resistor. The next time I resoldered the link and cleaned out the nest myself.
Done the nest about four times in the past four years. Getting real good at it...

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango #13  
Well i went out and looked at mine to see if it is possible to get the cover of of the blower motor, but i couldnt even see the 3 screws on the right hand side. The blower motor cover is right behind the glove box. Open it up and squeeze the sides in to let it drop down and you will see the 3 screws on the left hand side of the cover, the fan is behind that. I dont see how you could get it off without taking the whole dash out, the first part of the of the blower motor section says to see "heater-a/c housing in the removal and installation section for procedures".

Sorry, but replacing the fan motor isnt gonna be easy or fast, or cheap if he gets a shop to do it. I have allready had the dash pulled in mine to have the heater core and evaporator core replaced, i probably should have had them replace the motor too, DOH.

On a side note, you have to use a factory original heater core, the aftermarket ones are too thick and hit the blend door. I picked up that bit of info on a durango forum and the shop had never heard about that, but i told em to watch out for that problem and sure enough it was true.

Seems like all the 98 models have the same types of problems, if he hasnt had his ball joints replaced yet then he needs to have em looked at, more than a few have had them come apart going down the road.

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango #14  
guy at work's ac blower fan for his 98 durango stopped working.. he thinks it may be the ressitor module.. it was cheap enough to buy.. bout half the size of a pack of smokes.. has a 2" x 3/8" 4 blade connector on outside, and the restive elements on the inside with a small cage around them... manual says right side engine compartment cowling.

we've looked all over that engine compartment near the firewall, and the right side fenderwell, and left side fenderwell near the electrical distro box.. have looked under dash on driver and passanger side.. can't find it.. anyone had to replace there's and know where it is?

thanks

soundguy

Just did this on My 98 Durango SLT The Resistor is located under the windshield wiper cowl. Remove the Wiper arms, then the cowling, being careful to unplug the washer hoses, 2 of them. Then you will see on the passenger side an access hole for the resistor. If you reach under and upwards in the center of that hole you will feel the resistor. It is a difficult thing to remove! There are 2 5/16 hex head screws that hold it in. I was able to remove using a 1/4" Ratchet and a 5/16 socket but patience is a gift here, trust me. After screws are removed you can pull the resistor out and carefully unplug the Plug from the harness. There is really on extra wire there so it is a little hard to do but you can do it! This is the true skinny on how this is done. AGAIN! The Resistor on a 98 Durango, is NOT UNDER THE DASHBOARD!

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango #15  
check the date of this thread..... :eek: ;)

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango #16  
Might be good info for others but no use to the OP.

/ fan resistor on a 98 dodge durango #17  
check the date of this thread..... :eek: ;)

I feel sorry for Mr. Brooks, having went to all the effort to help only to learn that the thread was 6 years old. It would be a nice feature to have a system that would move threads after a certain length of time to some inactive area.

But, just so Mr. Brooks doesn't feel completely stupid, he can take satisfaction in knowing that he isn't the ONLY one to have ever do that. It happens.