Fancy drill press

/ Fancy drill press #31  
Somehow I have the feeling that with all the computer control and programming, not to mention a manual thicker than a bible, it might be faster to make one or two parts with manual control. Of course if you need a thousand of something, setting up the computer will turn them out pretty fast.

/ Fancy drill press #32  
It sort of says I'm an idiot for not knowing.

Being a machinist I know you got a great deal. I sold a Bridgeport with an Anilam CNC cheap to a friend and got $2000 for it. I bought it new for over $20,000 about 20 years ago. You get some good deals at auctions especially now that the economy is so bad. I just got a 10 year old $300,000 CNC for $35,000 and that was only because one other guy wanted it.

/ Fancy drill press #33  
You guys are right. I have learned some. It does say Bridgeport and the big control back is Anilam. It also is called a mill not a drill press, and the cutter that cuts sideways is called a ... milling cutter. They are expensive. It turns out every thing on this beast is expensive. The work clamp is called KURT and they are outrageous.

The motor would not run right - only hummed until I twisted it, then it started turning, but slow. My neighbor said it uses three wire electricity and I have only two connected, so I need an electricians help to install another wire.

The control box box just plugs in the wall and turned ON ok and has numbers that change when I turn the cranks. The manual reads like a math book.

Frankly I think you might want to get rid of it because after that statement
there's a good chance you're going to get hurt on it.

I spent 2 years in Tech school and 3 years on an informal apprenticeship and
the last 27 years in Machine Shops. I'm a card carrying Journeyman Machinist.

Did you really buy it thinking it was just a drill press?

/ Fancy drill press
The motor drive came. It is small and will fit in the box on the side.

Thanks for your help with Enco. It looked like a good deal so I got two R8 cutter holders.

The control computer works fine and will move the table and spindle. The machine can be moved with cranks with the "servos" off and on the monitor you can see the exact location where it is at. Exact!

With the program you can cut circles and drill a six wheel bolt patterns with one line of program. I got some help with this from a college professor.

You guys are right that this is a lot more than I need, but for now I'm gonna have fun. I'll post a picture of a part when it's running.

/ Fancy drill press #35  
The motor drive came. It is small and will fit in the box on the side.

Thanks for your help with Enco. It looked like a good deal so I got two R8 cutter holders.

The control computer works fine and will move the table and spindle. The machine can be moved with cranks with the "servos" off and on the monitor you can see the exact location where it is at. Exact!

With the program you can cut circles and drill a six wheel bolt patterns with one line of program. I got some help with this from a college professor.

You guys are right that this is a lot more than I need, but for now I'm gonna have fun. I'll post a picture of a part when it's running.

there are some you can put is a learn mode and will duplicate the movements that you make by hand

make the first manually and the second under computer control

/ Fancy drill press #36  
great deal, if you look at the feed screws the handles move, are thet threaded screws or ball screws, if they are ball they will have a spherical shape rather than the typical threads on a bolt,

Not sure how its set up be careful not to hold the handles when running the cnc control, there are many cnc forums and they will give good advise on the use.

The Kurt vise is likely worth 500, quick change tool holder and collets easy 500 and the mill in good order should be easily 2500, the knee mill is a great machine for the shop.

/ Fancy drill press #37  
It was said once already.... seriously.... sell it before you get hurt and buy something you really need. At the least take a basic machine shop class if you choose not to.

/ Fancy drill press
I got lessons from a college professor who is now retired. He is good and showed me basics of a program. The motor runs now and I can use it like a - very precise drill press.

The programs will take some work but he is good. Now I know there is a use for algibra.

The handles could be wicked when turning. There is a spring that folds them in, you have to pry them out to use them by hand, except the down handle that could whap you. It comes off easy.

Thanks for all the great posts. I got stuff from Enco and precision flat parallels from ebay.

Now, I need to start looking for a lathe.

/ Fancy drill press #39  
Dpero;

if you were talking about me i 100% agree :D

Dont know the OP and his approach to things. But i still agree with the workshop classes.

I had basics at technical university going over lathe, mills etc etc and learned 1personal thing: never consider having any such tool at home, you'll get killed in no time.

My teacher agreed with that by the end of the school season :laughing:

We have a workshop in our building, about 50 machines from simple old drill presses to latests CNC mills. No month without injury and no year without amputation so far. And those are pro's working 40 hours a week on these machines.

The thing with having them at home is time-pressure and how you handle that. I am always in a hurry trying to finish a project and then quickly starting up one of these torque monsters rapidly becomes a bloody mess.

so OP, congrats on your purchase but be careful and respect your learning curve. (and I would postpone that lathe till you master your mill)

/ Fancy drill press #40  
I got lessons from a college professor who is now retired. He is good and showed me basics of a program. The motor runs now and I can use it like a - very precise drill press.

The programs will take some work but he is good. Now I know there is a use for algibra.

The handles could be wicked when turning. There is a spring that folds them in, you have to pry them out to use them by hand, except the down handle that could whap you. It comes off easy.

Thanks for all the great posts. I got stuff from Enco and precision flat parallels from ebay.

Now, I need to start looking for a lathe.

I made a collar for the elevating handle shaft with a screw in the side to keep the handle in place, or you could put a screw in the handle itself