FARM DIESEL

/ FARM DIESEL #11  
I've asked for off road diesel at a gas station, and haven't been able to get it.
Perhaps I can get PUC diesel at a truck stop.

I think one can get a tax refund if one keeps the receipts (or, of course, mileage for vehicles).

Do most people getting off road diesel get it delivered to a home tank?

/ FARM DIESEL #12  
We have bulk tanks on our farms and have used farm fuel/off road for years. Our winters are not that bad, so we usually have our tanks filled every ten months or so, so summer/winter blend is not an issue for us.

/ FARM DIESEL #13  
Back in the day,,,, you could save receipts and file an application to the tax authority and get reimbursed for any road tax paid on dyed fuel. You can't do that anymore. Now when you purchase it you purchase without the tax being charged,,,, if done properly... If you purchase it with the tax charged, you just ate it.

What I mean by that is here in Missouri we have an organization called MFA. That's where I buy my fuel, road and offroad. They have small "cardtrol" stations scattered around Missouri. If I buy dyed fuel at one of them and use a normal credit card I am charged road tax. If I make the purchase using my MFA Petrol Card I am not charged road tax since the account is set up as a Farm Account. So in theory I can fill my Super Duty with dyed fuel using the Petrol Card and not pay road tax. There is a large warning sign on the pump telling you that is illegal. I have heard that if you get caught with dyed fuel in a road vehicle the government will estimate your annual mileage and charge you tax on all fuel used over the last year as if you dodged the tax, plus a hefty fine. Can't confirm that.

I don't have a bulk tank as Larry does so I buy all my dyed fuel at the MFA station and haul it in my truck tank or jugs depending on the situation.

As to dyed fuel being winterized. I run a governmental road grader. We have a 500 gallon storage tank that is bulk filled with dyed fuel. Whether the supplier claims it's winterized or not I could care less. A supplier's interpretation of winterized is good to 20 degrees F. So in the Fall when I get my last tank fill before winter I have it blended 50/50 with #1 and #2 fuel. If that's not possible I add an anti-gel additive. Which is what I do in my truck all Winter long. Never trust any supplier or fuel station that their fuel is winterized. That is unless you enjoy freeing a vehicle of gelled fuel. That's not a pretty situation. Had it happen 20 years ago in a grader when I believed the supplier had provided me Winterized fuel. At 0 degrees F, it turned into a 7/11 Slurpy. Not pretty at all.

So final thought,,, never,, never depend on anyone to provide you with Winterized fuel, take care of that yourself. Oh,, and clear fuel that you buy at the local gas station for your truck IS NOT Winterized to anything much below 20 degrees, use additives.

/ FARM DIESEL #14  
Sometimes I run dyed, Sometimes not. Just depends on when and where I am at when I need a 5 gallon can filled. The extra $3.50 in tax savings may not offset the cost to drive farther to get the ORD.

/ FARM DIESEL #15  
Here in Nova Scotia, farmers can apply to have the tax rebated. I still haven't got around to it yet. It was harder for me to get dyed diesel so I went with the regular and will apply for the rebate. Now one the off chance that I need the fuel for something other than the tractors I don't need to worry.

/ FARM DIESEL #16  
I've asked for off road diesel at a gas station, and haven't been able to get it.
Perhaps I can get PUC diesel at a truck stop.

I think one can get a tax refund if one keeps the receipts (or, of course, mileage for vehicles).

Do most people getting off road diesel get it delivered to a home tank?

I have a hundred gallon saddle tank fastened to a pallet. I take it to the closest station to where I live, lucky for me they have an off road diesel pump. Last time that I checked, I saved 30 cents a gallon.
P3130023.JPG P3310026.JPG

I raised the tank so now I can park the Versahandler or the Dumper next to the saddle tank and let gravity go to work filling them up.
P5310020.JPG P5310024.JPG

/ FARM DIESEL #17  
I have a hundred gallon saddle tank fastened to a pallet. I take it to the closest station to where I live, lucky for me they have an off road diesel pump. Last time that I checked, I saved 30 cents a gallon.
But by the virtue of the fact that you used a tax funded road for transportation of this fuel and that road relies on taxes to maintain it, don't you feel you're obligated to owe tax. If the road wasn't there for lack of taxes, you wouldn't be able to transport this fuel in the manner you do. :D:D:D

Oops, there I go thinking like a politician looking for more ways to grab dollars. ;)

/ FARM DIESEL #18  
Not that I am for taxing all fuel, BUT, around here, most farmers drive their tractors on the road ALOT. Getting from field to field. Taking up almost the whole road, tracking a ton of mud out, and not to mention the several pavement scars around the area from where something on a piece of equipment failed.

Again, I am NOT for it, cause i do it. but just saying....

/ FARM DIESEL #19  
I own a lawn service and I use lots of 'off road' gasoline and some diesel. Each of my trucks has 2 fuel cards in it. One for the truck, and one for equipment. At tax time, I have good records of how much fuel was used for each, and I file this IRS form for Federal tax credit. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4136.pdf

This system works well for me. And I get about $300 a year tax credit for the 'off road' use of fuel.

/ FARM DIESEL #20  
I own a lawn service and I use lots of 'off road' gasoline and some diesel. Each of my trucks has 2 fuel cards in it. One for the truck, and one for equipment. At tax time, I have good records of how much fuel was used for each, and I file this IRS form for Federal tax credit. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4136.pdf

This system works well for me. And I get about $300 a year tax credit for the 'off road' use of fuel.

Yep. You can file and get reimbursed for gasoline or clear diesel that is used offroad. You cannot do the same for dyed fuel purchased with tax paid at the time of purchase.