Farm girl needs tractor advice

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #11  
Thanks for all the responses!
I'm in Ontario, very little tractor experience.
Near to the new farm is Kubota and New Holland Dealerships. Probably JDeere but I haven't looked one up.
I've only used an ATV for snow removal, manure handling and pull behind mowing.
Budget is about 15,000 for a tractor with snowblower or blade included. I'm wondering which would suit our drifting blowing snow on 100' drive (very much out in the open except right next to the house)
Would a Kubota B or BX series be right? No haying for me, will lease land. There is about 7 acres of bush but otherwise very flat open land, no slopes of any kind, boggy in the middle.
Once again, thanks! I'd like to buy once and hopfully have no regrets and something I can build on as required.

Moving hay bales--that may be the task that sizes your tractor. What size bales are we talking--small squares (<100 lb), big squares (~500 lb), small rounds, large rounds?

You can move bales with a hay fork either on the 3pt hitch in the rear or attached to your FEL arms in the front. Which way to you prefer?

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #12  
Get to know those nearby dealers then deal with the one with the best service reputation. Talk to neighbors about the dealers that they deal with. When you have a unit down you want a dealer that you can rely on.

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #13  
Do you get the "Lake Effect" snows? If so a blade on the front/rear on a small tractor may not be very suitable. Also the blade may have limited use if you get drifting snow. A blower or the front end loader may be your best choice for snow removal. For budget purposes the loader by itself will do fine.

Moving the bales is another matter. Here you should make sure your hydraulics are up to the task of the lift. Note, if you have arranged things so you only need to roll the bales it is another matter.

It would seem a tractor in the 20 - 30 HP. range would be suitable for duties at hand but may be hard to fit into your budget.

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #14  
Everything you mention except one thing points to a 30-ish hp tractor with 4wd and a loader.. except moving the hay bales.. for hay bales.. bigger is better. I move them with a 50hp tractor and it's on the small side...

soundguy

I've just purchased my dream farm. 50 acres of hay fields leased to a farmer to take off hay. The house and barn are on 4 acres, about 2 acres of lawn to mow, 100' of gravel drive in a very snowy drifty area.
I will want to:
put in a good size veggie garden
put in 5 paddocks about 2 acres each (post holes)
work the area behind the barn (60'x200') into a riding arena, now gravel.
Move hay bales, manure other stable things.
My first priority is going to be snow removal/plowing, then other attachments as needed.
I first thought of getting an large ATV because it would be fun after working all day. Now after reading this forum I think I will need a compact/subcompact tractor.
Any advice for my situation appreciated!

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #15  
For all that you have planned, and how important a tractor will be in this, I really think you need to reconsider your budget. $15,000 will get you a decent, small tractor with a few implements, but in my opinion, not really what you need.

Going used, anything is possible, but the headache factor also increases. There's no telling what hidden problems you will come across with used, and what it will take finacially, physically and emotionally to fix and keep them working. I have allot of used stuff. I'm also working on them ALL THE TIME. It can be silly stuff like a fuel pump to leaking cylinders to massive blowby that requires an engine rebuild.

Do you have any experience wrenching on equipment? Do you have somebody who is able to do this for you and is available to do this on a days notice?

One gurantee with any and all brands, they will break. Buying new should put those fun filled repair days off, but even brand new tractors can run over a hidden landmine out in a field and take something out. I've had small trees work there way through two seperat oil pans. My backhoe and bulldozer have had holes through their oil pans!!!!

Auctions are a great place to hang out and see what's out there and what it's selling for. I saw some great deals on stuff that I'd sure love to have, but realy don't need. Some with just a few hundred hours on them!!!

Whatever you buy, the most important thing is dealer support. If you don't have a dealer for that brand close by, then even if it's free, it's not a good deal. There's lots of free equipment out there that is just never going to get fixed, so it rusts away where it died. The same goes for implements. Be sure there is a dealer for those parts. Blades, belts, bearings and the rest all wear out over time. Buying mail order on tractor parts isn't all that simple. At least I've never found any deals for what I have online. The dealers always seems to be the cheapest for whatever reason.

An exception to that is filters. I buy my filters from the auto parts stores. I used to buy from Napa, but they have issues with inventory, so now I go to ABC, where they have everything in stock and even give me ten percent off since I buy so much from them.

Congratulations on buying your land. Your entire life is now going to change on you, and it's going to be a wonderful thing!!!!

Eddie

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #16  
I think a snowblower is a bit of overkill for 100' drive...I'd use scraper blade and loader. As others have said, the deciding factor will be the hay bale size. If you want to carry on front, you'll need a much larger machine than if you can get away with rear-mounted carry (either spear or what we do - a carry-all without the "floor boards").

You also don't want to buy a tractor to fit a "one-time task". I'd look at the Kubota B series. You REALLY want to consider the dealer. Karma counts.

Mike

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #17  
With the very large round hay bales one can always roll them around and unwind them to get at the hay. You may even be able to tip them on end in the storage area. :D

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice
All of your support is greatly appreciated. I have really learned a lot from reading your responses. I realize my limitations to be able to do any sort of repairs, fixes etc. I guess I have a steep learening curve ahead!
A 2003 tractor may have come available from an exec at my sister's company. It belonged to his father who has had to sell his hobby farm. It has only 70 hours on it. A John Deere 4130 with a front end loader. It is larger than what I had planned and I'm still waiting to see about price. It will have to fit through the doors into my barn as well, or garage, which has a low ceiling.
The budget that I put aside was cash from the sale of my house, of course I could spend a little more for the right vehicle. I have come along way from thinking an ATV + snow blade could work.
The John Deere dealership is not as close as New Holland or Kubota. We are going out next week to visit the dealerships and see who wants my money : )
JD is about 1 hour away.
We do not get lake effect snow as we are about 1-1/2 hours north of the lake and over the Niagara Escarpment but it is a very flat area surrounded by very large wheat farms.

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #19  
kmully,

Welcome to TBN & CONGRATULATIONS on that land purchase !! Can't beat country liv'in, let me tell ya somethin. :)

You have received excellent advice from the forum. Just going to add my .02

We have two horses on only 2.3 acres of land. Just on this small piece of land, alot of work keeping it in shape. Really glad that I went with the size of tractor I did. As you know, the maneure piles sky high in no time so a 6 ft bucket makes quick work of that. Unfortunately, cannot get into stalls though so have to wheelbarrow it out. We compost the maneure & make the best soil this side of Ontario.

Definitely first priority implement will be the FEL. Just way too handy for too many tasks. Very good point of Egon's. With 4 or 5 ft snow drifts, much easier to tackle versus back blade. 100 ft driveway no big deal. No laneway out to barn ?? Our Horses are in every night in the winter so we have to keep our laneway clear. Also need to keep it clear for the farrier & to get wood shavings to the horse stalls.

For your budget obviously a cab is out. Get as much tractor with that money as you can. I use a snowmobile suit in the winter & keeps me toasty warm. Either buy used or go with a less popular brand such as a kioti to stretch your dollars. Stay away from grey market tractors such as Chinese, etc.
Don't let Dealership talk you into a sub-compact. If you only had the property to keep up it's do-able, but with horses & moving bales you will want a real tractor. At least a 30 to 35 HP. Hydrostat tractors are a real plus as you won't have to change gears ALL THE TIME. Worth the extra money. Definitely get on some tractors at the Dealers & try them out

Best Of Luck,

Vic

PS: Just read your post. If the tractor is in half decent shape & relatively low hours (500 - 1500).......GET THAT JOHN DEERE 4130 !!! Even if it has higher hours, if it looks like it has been well maintained.....GO FOR IT. i.e. if the price is right.

/ Farm girl needs tractor advice #20  
Hi kmully! congratulations on the new homestead!

Just wanted to drop my 2Cents it pretty much contradicts most of the recommendations but I'll explain why I think that way. If it makes sense, great!

If you didn't have horses I'd be right there saying get a nice big tractor for that much land but.....Having had horses in the past (although on less land) Here's my take.

Make a list of the tasks you do and how often they'll happen. After you have a pretty good list of common jobs look at what size tractor could do them.

Look at the frequency of the jobs you're talking about. I think not having a tractor that will easily fit into the barn and clean stalls is putting a shovel back in your hand nearly daily while an expensive piece of equipment relaxes. I buy equipment to make my life easier, mucking stalls gets old, hauling feed sacks gets old. The day in day out stuff is what wears you down, not the twice a year events. If you have a big job that a smaller tractor won't do a few times a year hire it out or find a work around, There are thousands of amish that feed round bales with no front end loader in sight. Like egon said, there are ways to safely move round bales.

Another thing to consider is trade in. It's much easier to go bigger than smaller if you want to make a size change. Dealers are happy to trade as long as the cash is going their way...Your tractor plus $xxx happens all the time, them giving you a check.... not so much.

I think that a SCUT that will fit and manuever in the barn with a FEL that work in your stalls will get used every day and still be capable of mowing, snow removal, and draging paddocks. It won't do them as fast as a bigger tractor but it won't be sleeping EVERY morning as you haul poop and food.