farm wagon steering tie rod issue

/ farm wagon steering tie rod issue #1  

rasorbackq

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720
Just bought an old farm wagon with tie rod steering setup. Both tie rod ends are very loose . When |I try to loosen the crown nuts the whole thing spin s inside . There is not way to hold it that I can see? What am I doing wrong??

/ farm wagon steering tie rod issue #2  
You're not doing anything wrong. The tie rod ends have a tapered fit. You mention they are are loose and spinning. I doubt you'll be able to tighten them up. They'll need to be replaced. You can try placing a jack under the tie rod and lifting up to put more pressure on the taper fit. If that doesn't work I've had to use a nut splitter to bust the nut then drive them out with a hammer. A torch or sawzall will also remove the nut.

/ farm wagon steering tie rod issue #4  
A good auto parts store can usually match something up. I once took an old tractor tie rod end (the tapered ball came right out of the socket) to an auto parts store where I knew the manager. I asked and they brought out almost every tie rod end they had. After opening about 10 boxes we found one that would work. Just need to find one the right length with the right diameter and threads (L or R hand) and a similar or same taper. Depending on diameter the same rod could fit a car if small or truck if large diameter.
I've also bought a plain Chevy car tie rod end and adjusting sleeve and welded one end of the sleeve to the tie rod then installed the other end in the steering arm knuckle. I wouldn't do this on a truck or car driven at highway speeds but for a tractor or wagon at slow speeds would be fine.

/ farm wagon steering tie rod issue #5  
I once had one I couldn't match, so I drilled out the taper and replaced it with a rod end of this type.

rodendchomoly.jpg

Bruce

/ farm wagon steering tie rod issue
Another great idea. I am afraid to cut them off as not sure how it will be repaired. At least now its usable with lots of sway when towed.