Farmal Super C Spark Plug ?

/ Farmal Super C Spark Plug ? #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I have heard that modern day spark plugs are too hot for the Super C because of all the gasoline modifications such as "unleaded" etc. I am having trouble with the engine running at proper rpm. I have cleaned the fuel tank, sediment bowl, filters, carb and have attempted adjusting the governor linkage to the carb but it still sputters and backfires, especially if there is any load on the engine such as pulling a light load. The plugs are new as well as the points are newish.

I have owned this tractor for over 15 years and have had less than 1 hour of usage. Any recommendations other than the 357 Magnum to the block?

/ Farmal Super C Spark Plug ? #2  
Is it possible it lost polarity, meaning has battery, generator or regulator been disconnected. If and even if not polarize the generator to see if it clears up how it's running rough.

/ Farmal Super C Spark Plug ? #3  
Two things come to mind real quick, if your battery is fully charged from the get go. #1. You don't say anything about replacing the dist. cap. Have you looked inside for a buildup of carbon on the lugs..?? Ionization will cause a buildup on the lugs, a sort of greeenish/white color on aluminum lugs, and you can simply scrape it off with a pocket knife. Same with the rotor button. #2 The Spark plug wires. If they are not copper wires, do get a set. You can get a 4 cyl. wire set at NAPA for about $20.00. It comes as a kit, and you will need to put the boots & ends on. If they are hypalon wires, they aren't worth putting on. The buildup on the lugs in the cap will make them sputter and run weak. I have to clean mine about every two years, and have had the same cap on it for over 20 years.

Plugs should be a Champion D-15Y, or one that cross references to it. IIRC a Motorcraft B82 plug is a bit better plug to my notion. But check to make sure it crosses.