Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...?

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
I'm looking for a ~75Hp 4WD drive tractor with a strong loader. I originally was going to buy a Kubota M5-111 but, that ship sailed away 2 years ago and hasn't been seen since. I am not a fan of the John Deere mega-dealership plan and proprietary software in addition to premium pricing. I had the hots to get a Massey 4707 but, the local dealership closed so, that and AGCO/New Holland emission problems has me looking at CaseIH since there are two pretty strong dealers locally with reasonable pricing and delivery dates (not ~2 years in a configuration I don't want).

What I am having trouble with is understanding the real differences in the CaseIH ~75Hp Farmall A and C tractors. It looks like these are similarly priced when equipped similarly based on what I could glean from their online pricing tool.

I think I want the Case IH 75A or C with the L610/L620 loader and a cab. Both seem to be ~$72K. What are the 'real' differences in these two tractors that I am missing? What is the real cost difference? Which is the better 'work' tractor for me?

Things I need it to do:
  • run a heavy medium duty rotary 'bush hog' mower
  • loader lift heavy loads
    • how many bags of concrete on a pallet
    • how high for a heavy round bale
    • will an 84" bucket of wet sand unweight the rear of the tractor
    • will it run a 72" tiller economically (540E PTO)
While I am pretty focused on CaseIH, I am willing to consider other brands. As mentioned, JD, Kubota, and New Holland are all local to me. Mahindra is an option too but, I know nothing about their bigger tractors. I do not want a Kioti. I would consider a gently used tractor but, right now they cost more than new!

I don't think I need to buy one this calendar year for a tax right off so, I have flexibility on the delivery date assuming it is ~6 months and not 2 years or more! The configurations need to be reasonable as well but, CaseIH doesn't seem to have the issues Kubota did and still does.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
   / Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #2  
I am by no means an expert on any of this so it’s worth what you pay for it. I had a 60hp Kubota tractor and had no issues. Looked at getting a bigger one and was considering the M-111. Talked to the dealer and they recommend the Case when you step up to over 100HP tractor.

Basically his experience for what he saw at the dealership is under 100…. (The power range your looking at) is that the Kubota is where it’s at and to leer away from Case in the lower (under 100hp) range. Guess he’s seen more issues with the smaller cases. They sell Case and Kubota.
Sure there are people that have the 75hp case and never had issues.

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #3  
Use the link below. It will take you to the CaseIH compare page. From their you can choose tractors and then select the 75A and C models and click compare. Mostly it comes down to "bells and whistles" as far as the differences. The "C" has more options such as power shuttle transmission. I just purchased a 35A. It is a basic tractor with a few options which fit what I was looking for.

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #4  
@Sid Post I have a 2021 75C. I like it a lot. I run a 8‘ TR3, a 3008 bush hog and a 87” mk rear snow blower. Mine has the CIH wheel weights and nothing has seemed too heavy for the rear of the tractor To lift. But I also have the TR3 on pretty much all the time so far. For the price I thought it was the best value, 84” bucket, 3rd function diverter. Mine has pretty much all the options you can have. Only complaint is the clutch needed adjustment. Was a little stressful on my new tractor. But was just a few simple tools and laying on my head. And CIH puts 2 female FF connectors for the 3rd function. 600 hr service interval is nice and only a DOC is nice.

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #5  
Use the comparison tool and you will see some differences. My Workmaster 75 is the NH version of the Case Farmall 75A. The NH Powerstar 75 would be the the same as the Case 75C. My Workmaster is the utility version, the Powerstar is the deluxe version. There are differences such as mine has a 3 cylinder engine vs a 4 cylinder in the Powerstar. Both have 74 HP but mine has 60 HP PTO vs 65 HP PTO in the Powerstar. Alos the Powerstar weighs more. None of which justified the extra expense for me. Also the Powerstar could not have R4 tires, only R1. I was able to get R4s on my Workmaster 75.

Might shop around. Four Brothers in Terrell has the WM75 listed for $55,300 to $55,900. Between the 55, 65, and 75 models the only difference is HP. Either brand and both levels are nice tractors.

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #6  
Use the comparison tool and you will see some differences. My Workmaster 75 is the NH version of the Case Farmall 75A. The NH Powerstar 75 would be the the same as the Case 75C. My Workmaster is the utility version, the Powerstar is the deluxe version. There are differences such as mine has a 3 cylinder engine vs a 4 cylinder in the Powerstar. Both have 74 HP but mine has 60 HP PTO vs 65 HP PTO in the Powerstar. Alos the Powerstar weighs more. None of which justified the extra expense for me. Also the Powerstar could not have R4 tires, only R1. I was able to get R4s on my Workmaster 75.

Might shop around. Four Brothers in Terrell has the WM75 listed for $55,300 to $55,900. Between the 55, 65, and 75 models the only difference is HP. Either brand and both levels are nice tractors.
I saw something of bias vs radial tire differences also.

good video.

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...? #7  
Hi Sid, I'm curious, why is Kioti out? The RX7320 is in the neighborhood regarding specs and almost certainly competitive on price. I'm sure you've got a reason, just curious what it is?

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...?
Hi Sid, I'm curious, why is Kioti out? The RX7320 is in the neighborhood regarding specs and almost certainly competitive on price. I'm sure you've got a reason, just curious what it is?

A friend has a Kioti CK30 and my sister has a DK30 tractor and I have used both of them enough not be a fan. Hydraulics are not smooth which matters to me and the driver station lacks some modern conveniences and ergonomics. Maintenance to keep them in service has been a bit of a problem too. While I could probably get parts from a Bobcat dealer, Kioti dealers are few and far between with good inventories anywhere close. Oklahoma specifically was a real problem for me requiring trips to Kansas for parts.

/ Farmall® A or C Series? Or, ...?
CaseIH and Massey Freguson are Agco companies while New Holland is part of Fiat isn't it?

The Workmaster and 75A both have bias ply tires. I really want radials so, that means either the 75C or PowerStar. There are some loader differences too but, apparently that is a corporate secret for New Holland.