Farmall 55A safety switch problems.

/ Farmall 55A safety switch problems. #1  

Dieselmh

Bronze Member
My Grandpa passed away and we're trying to sell his tractor. I believe it's a 2012 or 2013 Farmall 55A. 2 weeks ago I started and drove it, and it worked just fine. We had a guy come look at it to possibly buy it, and it wouldn't crank. It won't even attempt to engage the starter. Battery is testing good, lights work, etc. After doing a little research, it looks like it's most likely one of the safety switches. The problem is that I'm not familiar with this tractor, so I don't really know just how many safety switches there are that have to be cleared in order for it to start. If anyone could post up a diagram of the safety system, or tell me where all of the switches are located, that would be a big help. I'm not a novice when it comes to troubleshooting, but I'm flying blind right now on this thing. It's only got 50 hours on it, I wasn't really expecting it to break already.

/ Farmall 55A safety switch problems. #2  
My 45A had the high low safety fail. It is behind your left foot. There are two wires leading to it. You can cut the wires and connect them to each other to bypass it. The other issue I had was the seat switch. I can't remember what I had to do with that but it is attached to the underside of the seat

/ Farmall 55A safety switch problems.
Thanks for that info. I did find the under seat switch, but I think it's working. When I depress it, I can hear some sort of relay under the hood clicking. I'll check and see if the 55A has the High Low switch in the same place as yours. Hopefully it's just 2 wires. The seat switch has 4 wires.

/ Farmall 55A safety switch problems. #4  
Thanks for that info. I did find the under seat switch, but I think it's working. When I depress it, I can hear some sort of relay under the hood clicking. I'll check and see if the 55A has the High Low switch in the same place as yours. Hopefully it's just 2 wires. The seat switch has 4 wires.
Mine was 2 wires there, I just wire nutted them together so I could keep working til I got the replacement. I keep the wire nutted pigtail in the toolbox in case this 1 fails.