Farmall 756

/ Farmall 756
what is actually different about the shift mechanics

/ Farmall 756 #13  
06 series shifter has the ranges as a straight line shift with a lockout latch for reverse. 56/66 shifter has a modified H pattern for the ranges. Much improved.

/ Farmall 756
Thank you for the feed back RickB, it is greatly appreciated.

/ Farmall 756 #15  
06 series shifter has the ranges as a straight line shift with a lockout latch for reverse. 56/66 shifter has a modified H pattern for the ranges. Much improved.

The H pattern was much improved as long as you kept a long handled screw driver to unlock the shifter out of 2 gears when it stuck. It would seem to happen a couple of times a year, usally in the spring when everybody was getting used to driving it again. I thought my 1466 was the best starting cold diesel I ever owned. IH built a darn good engine. The T/A wasn't heavy enough and the layout of throttle, shifters and hydraulics could of been better. When you were plowing you need three arms to drop the plow, hit the throttle and shift the T/A. I did love that engine though!:thumbsup:

/ Farmall 756 #16  
The H pattern was much improved as long as you kept a long handled screw driver to unlock the shifter out of 2 gears when it stuck. It would seem to happen a couple of times a year, usally in the spring when everybody was getting used to driving it again.

Never heard of anyone retrofitting an '06 shifter to a '56 or '66 tractor. Many are and still do swap out the '06 straightline for the later style.

Any of them will wear out and cause grief.