Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery???

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #11  
When you look around the rim sheet you can see where the paint is gone from rubbing on the rim flange. That is ofter the first sign of a loose wheel. easy to find when you know what you are looking for.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #12  
Man!! You guys saved me a bunch of time/effort! I had that "popping" to almost a grinding sound on a certain portion of the rotation on my rear left on my 230 Farmall.Thought I had a bad outer axel bearing. Based on what I read here, we jacked it up last nite and found one of the rim lugs to be loose. Tightened all and "Viola!" No crunch--No poping-- No errors! Keep it up guys. I was really worried that I was in for a bad time! BobG in VA

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #13  
Bob:

IH always used very robust bearings in final drives. You'd crack a housing before you destroyed a bearing.

I always use a little 232 threadlocker on the clamp bolts, even on my new 5030 and especially on my older Deeres.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #14  
I'll second the 'durability of IH final drive setups.

When I got my 66 int cub, it was mostly in good repair, and excelent 'looking' shape.

Minor details, like a pinched wiring harness to the lights, a few dirty electrical connections on the lights, switch, and the V-REG.. easilly fixed.. also, bad ammeter.

Fluids looked maintained well.. though, the oil bath in the fan hub was empty, and the only thing int he final drive pans was a light coating of dust... no evidence that ol ever was inthere. In fact, I'm glad i didn't drive it any till my service manual arived, and I started checking things like fan hub oil, etc.

I do know why the final drives were dry though.. you have to remove the drawbar, and belly mower to get at the plugs, etc.

All is filled now, and no leaks.

I did inspec the final drives a bit before re-assembling, and there wasn't even the slightest hint of wear.. so I was realllll happy.

Soundguy