Farmall H ignition

/ Farmall H ignition #1  

avschaefer

Tractor
Case 225, Farmall H, John Deere 3020, 3010, 4010, 4840, 4430, 4050, Minneapolis Moline Z, Allis Chalmers d-15
I am working on restoring a 1942 Farmall H. While trying to get it running I noticed there was no spark. Plugs and points didn't look the best so I replaced plugs points and plug wires. Still didn't get any spark. I am going to tear into the magneto, but before I do I was wondering if there was anything else I could check or if there was a particular problem I should be looking for once I take the mag off. Any advice would be great! Thanks

/ Farmall H ignition #2  
I have a '47A and this may not help at all, but I'll throw it out there, the battery is positive ground not negative.

/ Farmall H ignition #3  
I have a '47A and this may not help at all, but I'll throw it out there, the battery is positive ground not negative.

Now that's interesting. I would have never expected that or maybe it was more common back then.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Farmall H ignition #4  
A magneto doesn't need a battery to produce spark.

If you've had the dist, cap off, check to make sure the little spring loaded carbon brush is still in the center of the cap inside, that picks up off the rotor button. Other than that, it's more than likely the condenser, or the internal coil.

Something else came to mind. If the wire going to the kill switch is still connected, it may not be the mag at all. Unhook the wire at the mag, then see if you have spark. If it has sat outside for a while, sometimes those switches can get corroded inside, and ground out the mag in the run position. Or, could be a bare spot on the wire grounding out the mag, somewhere between the mag & switch.

/ Farmall H ignition #5  
If the armature still has magnetism it is most likely the coil. Case I H dealer or the internet.

/ Farmall H ignition #6  
Nobody asked if the impulse is working if not fix it first.

/ Farmall H ignition
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to work on it this weekend and I'll see if I can use this info to get some spark. I'll post if I get spark or not.