Farmall M rebuild

/ Farmall M rebuild #1  

gengine

Platinum Member
My dad recently was given a Farmall M that had a stuck motor. We poured diesel into the spark plug holes and let it sit a week or so, then used a board and a large hammer to knock out the one stuck piston, all the others were free. We then did an in-frame rebuild without doing the main seals nor the main bearings, but while we had it apart, we thought we might as well put new bearings in the rods. Shame on me for being in a rush and not measuring the rods.... they were ground .030 under, and the std. bearings I put back in resulted in low oil pressure, and one bearing slipping half past the other on #3, resulting in a damaged crankshaft and connecting rod. We have now pulled the motor and are doing a complete rebuild, as we dont want to do this again. Its been around a year, and I think I trashed my notes, so here's my question. What are the measurement differences between the two available crankshafts for this engine and what are the casting numbers? I'm six hours away, but I believe this one was 45571dc. There is also a 45571de available, but I dont know anything about it.

/ Farmall M rebuild #2  
IF you can find a reputable Case-IH dealer, he will be worth his weight in gold to you. He should have all the cross references regarding your crank.