Farmall Oil

/ Farmall Oil #11  
Actually, straight weight oil doesn't cause sludge build-up.
It's using non-detergent oil that can contribute to sludge build-up, and I don't think much of anything anymore, requires non-detergent oil.

Using multi-viscosity vs. straight viscosity is a matter of personal preference for older engines. Some like one while some like the other.

There are other factors that can cause sludge build-up besides non-detergent oil (e.g.- engine getting overheated, neglect, lack of maintenance, etc.).
And some engines are more prone to sludge than others. Remember the Toyota engine fiasco from a few years back? And, of course, multi-vis was used in them.

Over the years, I've owned a lot of tractors. Used straight 30wt (detergent of course), and 15w40 and have had absolutely no problems with either one.
I have made sure though, that I use a good quality name brand oil.

/ Farmall Oil #12  
Thanks for the response. May be a dumb question, but why use diesel oil in a gasoline engine?

in general, the add package in a C rated oil will be better than a S rated oil.. not to mention a 15w40 is a good coverage for a range of temps and machines with low to moderate wear..

I run 15w40 in all my antiques including an 66 IH cub

soundguy