Farmall Super-A lift capacity?

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #11  
Soundguy the info i got was the a weighed 2300 and the supper a 2850. one guy over there was testing hydro press. at 1500 psi. but that does't mean it will lift more or less than the N because of the link set up on the ih is toatly difrent as im sure you know. but if these little tactors here have lifts of 1200-1400lbs 24" aft.lift link wiyh tractor weight of 1800- 2000 lbs i dont think safety would be an issue, heck some of the implements the old tractos used weighd 500-600lbs.My landpride finish mower is 492 lbs and the little massey doesn't think twice about it even with no front weight,youed have to drop the clutch to lift the front end. My polais 4weeler is around 750 with acc. and id throw that on the back of an A any day and go.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #12  
I use an IH 2444 to move bales with. The base tractor weighs about 4,000 lbs, it also has loaded rears and a heavy loader on the front. 2 times I have set the tractor on the bale spear/bale, once when going thru a dip, the other time when backing up with a bale and hitting the brakes. That was fun!! front wheels about 3 feet off the ground and the tractors butt sort of sitting on the bale spear and bale. Glad I have a commercial grade anti roll bar /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif On level ground you can get by with a bit more on a smaller tractor, but I would not advise it for safety of the operator and the health of the tractor. I am not saying that the A will not move the bale, just that I would not recommend it. How are you going to rig a bale spear on an A anyway, they don't have a standard 3 point hitch ?

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #13  
I have a question are you guys sure these round bales are only 1000 lbs? We did small sqare bales 14-18-36 and they weighd 40 to 60 lbs depending on density i'm having a problem with them being only 1000lb bales i know the density is adjustable on round balers to but i thoght they were wraped much tighter and would shed water and snow with low spoilage,that was the selling piont they pused on dad long ago,but we stayed with small bales,-store up top in barn.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #14  
I just ansewerd my own queston the bale weight can go from 300lbs to 2200 lbs,so if you bale dence i would say ya it'll lift the front for sure. i thougt they were big bales to be 1000lbs,i'm sure no one bales on the light side 300lb bale would be so loose it would probly fall apart even being wraped.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #15  
Tim, I've never known of any as light as 300# myself, but you have consider not only how dense or tight a round bale is, but what kind of grass or hay, and especially what size round bale. I don't even know what all sizes are possible, but I was a bit familiar with balers that made 4' wide rolls and balers that made 5' wide rolls in diameters of 3' to 6', and the size differences made a huge difference in the weight.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ut if these little tactors here have lifts of 1200-1400lbs 24" aft.lift link wiyh )</font>

I would be highly surprised if a S/A can muster 1400# at 24' aft of the (fabricated) 3pt.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( heck some of the implements the old tractos used weighd 500-600lbs )</font>

I have a 3pt disc that is 7-800 ish. N lifts it fine.. front is a bit light though.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( wiyh tractor weight of 1800- 2000 lbs i dont think safety would be an issue, )</font>

With those numbers...You don't think safety is an issue..

Measure how high up yo set on a S/A.. think about the center of gravity of that machine.. now run down the pasture with 1000# on the rear and let a tire fall in a hole...

Weight distribution on lots of the IH modes are heavy rear... makes a beefy tractor.. but also moves its ballance point to the rear of center as well.. Gonna need alotta weight on the front to counter ballance that... sure hope the spindely front will take it...

As a rule of thumb I once heard an old farmer say.. if the tractor can't 'run' the bailer.. it shouldn't be toting bales...

For safety.. I would want +/- about 3x tractor weight to bale weight.. etc. Your tractor and your life though... do whatever your life insurance sees fit to pay out for.

Soundguy

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #17  
I guess in NH we tax our tractors well , hauled many a load corn silage with IH b 414 35+horse range new holland 8 forage wagon witch hauld 8 ton i did stop and weigh tare and net on scale at pit between field and farm and it did haul 8 ton in the wagon i forget th gross. The farm down the road used a 350 IH similar wagon only jd, this is hilly area, now the wagon will push tractor down hill but not a slide,up hil the tire's sliped a little but it always worked. the farm up the road did flip a couple wagons on side hill choping,these hills would scare the begees out of most pepole the tractor choping actuly would slide sidways as you went forward. Our land was not as steep no problem. the guy down the road chopped with row crop 656 witch is a tall tractor. I work constuction now and i'll say we run loaders,rubber tire excavators,graders and stuff on side hills you slide to the bottom and come back for more. any how if we had to use the same tractor to haul the load as the one that chopped it there would be a lot more 60- 100hp tractors on the used market that size is hard to find here. tractors here pull more than tere weight every day. (i'd want 3x tractor weight to bale weight) the super A is 2850lbs-bale 1000lbs? its 150lbs lighter than youd want.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #18  
sound guy the lift cap and tractor weight i put up was for my massey compact,not the super a,my sugestion was 2000lb compact 1200lb lift in the specs. of anew tractor in this cover your a** world the maufacter must be confident in the safty issue. i agree the super would be hard presed to lift that. but with the trhee pt ht i wouldn't be scared either, ive had the front of farm tractors up before but they stop when the implement touches the ground. thanks to Mr massy for that invention-(3pt ht). I beter quit before unskilled pepole start trying somthing there not ready for. don't try this at home,iv'e been on tractors all my life some times i take it for granted others are on the same wave when they don't even know how an engine auctually runs.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity?
Actually, no, I'm not sure. The guy we buy from mentioned 800 to 1200. I currently borrow a L3130 with front spear on the quick attach and a 1200 pound rear weight, and that has no problem moving them, but they sure 'feel' heavy.

Sounds like the Super-A isn't quite enough tractor to do this safely.

- Patrick

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 350 IH similar wagon only jd, this is hilly area, now the wagon will push tractor
)</font>

Hauling a load on a wagon is a different world entirely than hauling a fixed load on a pivot ( your rear axle ).

Gross weight to load ratio, Weight distribution, stance, size of tires, etc are much larger on heavy equipment. The GC I work for has built roads about 30 years.. we have just about every type of tracked or steel or rubber wheeled piece of equipment made for that purpost.. and I've driven most if not all of them from time to time.

Soundguy