Farmall Super C on hills

/ Farmall Super C on hills #1  

farm23

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-1430, Wright Z-turn mower, BCS 853
I farm some 2 acres of organic produce and some of the beds are on 10 to15% slopes. I like the high ground clearance but am concerned about being to safely work the beds on the slopes. Does anyone have experience or suggestion. The tractor will be used mostly for cultivation and bed forming.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #2  
High center of gravity+ no ROPS= bad idea.

/ Farmall Super C on hills
Scott85 I recognize what you say is true but I am hopeful someone has real life experience with the wide stance and maybe filling the tires.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #4  
Scott85 I recognize what you say is true but I am hopeful someone has real life experience with the wide stance and maybe filling the tires.

Hmm ok just because it says I don't own a tractor? Ok fair enough but you should have asked if I had any experience and then take it for what it's worth. When I first read your post I was thinking in my head a super cub and I've seen them flip from a groundhog hole. A super C on the other had would been even worse if it's still running with the tricycle set up. If the conversion has been done you would be ok. I grew up with two farmalls a H with tricycle and an M with the conversion and the M was a lot better the H would never handle a hill going sideways at all.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #5  
any time you run a hill.. if it's too steep and you slide.. then run up and down or terrace your beds.

you can get that SC real wide.. that helps.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #6  
10 to 15% doesn't seem all that steep, at least around here. I've got one bank in the pasture at the other farm that's probably closer to 20% that I mow with my Super C tricycle a couple times a year. Granted I do have rear wheel weights, and double wheel weights on the front.

It's not that uncomfortable going across, but coming down the hill to make the turn, I do idle it down, and make the turn slow. But I'm running on good solid ground.

With mounted cultivators, it should lower you center of gravity a good bit. And if you're cultivating, you more then likely will just be creeping along, or at least not faster than first gear.

A lot of it's common sense, like making the turns etc. If you don't feel comfortable with it, maybe get something like a Super A, 130, or 140.

I am however, thinking depending on the type of soil you have. In tougher ground, it may have a tendency to drag you down the hill some, or sandy ground, just drift some. I'm thinking you'll be doing some oversteering to compensate the draft, no matter what you use.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #7  
IMO, filling the tires and setting them as wide apart as you can (granted, if you're planting row crops there's other factors) is the most bang for the buck as the weight added is as low and wide (in relation to the tractor's center of gravity) as you can get.
Go slow and try not to rely on the brakes.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #8  
I farm some 2 acres of organic produce and some of the beds are on 10 to15% slopes. I like the high ground clearance but am concerned about being to safely work the beds on the slopes. Does anyone have experience or suggestion. The tractor will be used mostly for cultivation and bed forming.
How are you measuring the slope?

A 10% slope is only 5.7 degrees, 15% is 8.5 degrees, no pucker factor at all.

This is what 30 degrees of body lean looks like on a 50% slope
PA070001.JPG PA070004.jpg PA070006.JPG

More info on slope: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/69420-slope-ability-bobcat-toolcat-5600-a.html

/ Farmall Super C on hills #9  
A consideration might be to look around for an old Allis Chalmers G. Unconventional in the "typical layout" of the tractor since the motor is behind you but has a much lower center of gravity. There's a ton of vids on youtube if you are unfamiliar with them. They pop up on Craigslist every now and then and I guess there are some companies making reproductions of them but they are priced pretty steeply.

/ Farmall Super C on hills #10  
Your hill isn't so steep as to be scary, set the wheels as wide as possible. When it is too steep it will feel REALLY tippy. Make sure your brakes work well, be ready with the uphill brake to assist steering. Consider converting to duals. I like weights added to outside of wheels, it lowers center of gravity with no slosh effect as loading tires. Consider a ROPS structure and seat belt. I once flipped a backhoe, moving slowly, I felt safe without a seat belt, but it tossed me out quicker than I could react.