Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please

/ Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please #1  

rfc143

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 5240
My JL290 is a bear to pull the cable out. It vibrates when you pull and it just seems like there's too much friction. I've read the Clutch Adjustment section of the manual, and it's confusing.
It says: "Pull the control rope. The lever should move up 1.5" before the clutch engages. If the clutch engages earlier loosen the clutch setting".

From that description, it seems it's adjusted properly. Is there any harm in trying to loosen it some? The clutch is certainly not engaging without pulling the control rope.

What else could be causing it to be so hard to pull out? How hard should it be? Got nothing to compare it to. Thanks in advance for advice.

/ Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please #2  
I don't think there's any harm in trying to loosen it some. You might lose some traction at the other end of the range though, so a lowered maximum line pull.

My 351 is easy to unspool unless the cable gets buried or bound under previous wraps. Actually if I pull the hook and sliders (with no load, just the hardware) all the way up to the top pulley and release the clutch, the spool will unwind and drop the hardware to the ground.

I guess the other question is how old your winch is. I can remember if there's a main bearing or if it's a bushing, but is it possible that it's worn and creating friction?

/ Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please
Thanks. It's not that old (less than 10 years perhaps?). The noise it makes sounds like it could be coming from the spring loaded bale that pushes the wire rope towards the drum. If the only down side of loosening it is possible less pull, I'll give it a go, a small amount at a time. It sounds like it can be much looser than it is. I thought about taking apart to see if anything was worn and could not even break the nuts holding it together! They must have been torqued with some massive torque wrench. Need a 3/4" breaker bar.

/ Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please #4  
There is an adjustable friction drum brake that keeps the drum from over running when you stop pulling cable. It puts a drag on the drum. Check that it is not to tight. Also check that no debris has somehow jammed against the drum. I would be hesitant to loosen the clutch if the adjustment is correct per the manual you quoted until you are very sure it is not something else like the drum brake. Back it all the way off to eliminate it as a possible cause for the problem. Clutches get looser not tighter with normal wear. You may also have a bearing binding or failed so the drum is rubbing on the frame.

I would back off the drum brake then check your clutch adjustment again. If the clutch is still adjusted correctly look else where for the problem. If the clutch needs adjustment them adjust it. Good luck with this. If you end up having to take it apart it is simple to work on and parts are easy to get.

Edit: Where in VT are you ?

gg

I see that in the manual. I'll try loosening the drum brake first. I'm near Woodstock, vt.

I loosened the drum brake. I think that helped some. Thank you.
I would like to take the thing apart and lubricate it though. I'm a little surprised there aren't grease zerts with tubes to the bearings though. Don't these things ever need to be lubricated?

/ Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please #7  
If you backed the brake all the way off the cable should just about unspool on it's own just from the weight of the hook and a choker, if everything is right. Maybe it just needs work if it has been setting a while. Make sure the upper pulley is rolling freely and give it a little oil. Check between the drum and frame. Make sure there is clearance, no debris and that the drum not deformed so it rubs on the frame. Squirt some DW-40 or the like on the clutch control ring on the drum shaft. There are some balls in there that need to be free.

Farmi uses high quality sealed bearings. No lube required and they usually last decades w/o trouble. Actually you have to be careful and use lube very sparingly especially on the chain and around the drum. Any lube there can/will migrate to the clutch surface and make it slip.

If it all looks OK hook a choker to a tree stump and pull all the cable out by driving the tractor forward then winch in the cable under enough pressure to make it wind properly. Do this a several times and see if it loosens things up. Pay attention to what happens.

gg

/ Farmi JL290 clutch adjustment...help please #8  
If you backed the brake all the way off the cable should just about unspool on it's own just from the weight of the hook and a choker, if everything is right. Maybe it just needs work if it has been setting a while. Make sure the upper pulley is rolling freely and give it a little oil. Check between the drum and frame. Make sure there is clearance, no debris and that the drum not deformed so it rubs on the frame. Squirt some DW-40 or the like on the clutch control ring on the drum shaft. There are some balls in there that need to be free.

Farmi uses high quality sealed bearings. No lube required and they usually last decades w/o trouble. Actually you have to be careful and use lube very sparingly especially on the chain and around the drum. Any lube there can/will migrate to the clutch surface and make it slip.

If it all looks OK hook a choker to a tree stump and pull all the cable out by driving the tractor forward then winch in the cable under enough pressure to make it wind properly. Do this a several times and see if it loosens things up. Pay attention to what happens.

gg

A big 10-4 on too much grease on chain, done that once on my Fransgard, put a nice layer around the chain, next thing I know couldn't pull anything, had to take it all and washed the brake disc with brake cleaner.

I'd also input that if the winch pulls good and doesn't try to reel back in on it's own, that part of the winch is ok, it's when it tries to reel back in that it needs to be backed off, on mine I have a flat brake pad underneath the spool drum with slight pressure against the drum, and that is mostly for to keep cable from free wheeling out too fast.