Farmi Winch ?'s

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #11  
Re: Farmi Winch size for TC33D?

John -- My L3010 has filled rear tires and a Kubota FEL. Even so, with all implements lowered to the ground and the parking brake set, the 351P has dragged me backwards a couple of times. It's quite powerful!

PeterH was kind enough to let me play with his winch before buying my own. It worked like a charm on his 2910, though I noticed loss of steering uphill when in transport mode with a pair of poplars. Had to drop the trees, drive up hill and reel them back in. I generally don't have to do that with the L3010, so there's something to be said for weight. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

And I am absolutely in agreement with Peter when he recommended going for the 351P with the dozer blade. Can't imagine doing this sort of thing without one!

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #12  

Peter & Pete:

Thanks for the info. I was figuring on the dozer blade model anyway. It seems as though you'd get more use out of it that way.

When you guys have actually dragged your tractors, was the log hung up on something, or just a big log? How big can you go before running into problems? I'm not planning on tackling any moster-sized trees (at least not on my own), but I'm curious what the limits are that you've found.

John

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #13  

<font color=blue>How big can you go before running into problems? I'm not planning on tackling any moster-sized trees (at least not on my own), but I'm curious what the limits are that you've found.</font color=blue>

Hi John;

I posted some pics a few weeks back of some redwoods we dragged up and out of a creek. The post is here. We had to double line the larger of these, but then we were pulling up logs about 15 ft long and 2 ft across. The winch was a Farmi 351P on a <font color=orange>Kubota L2500DT</font color=orange>.

Yet another Peter

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #14  

Well, I found out the winch can't pull the bottom log out from under a 15' high pile of logs unless those on top are removed first. Doesn't make any horrible noise or anything; the winch just refuses to winch. I also found out I can only pull the UPS truck out of the ditch from downhill. The driver and I have an arrangement now. If he feels himself sliding off the road he guns it to leave enough room for me and Clementine to get around him. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I've had no trouble skidding monster logs, i.e., 30" rock maple x 15' long. Also no trouble reeling in and skidding out up to four smaller maples at a time. Till the snow started falling I was having a blast finessing logs out of the forest. Winch forward 40 feet, release the clutch and change position, engage again and winch the log around an obstruction, etc. Sort of a grownup version of pickup sticks. Also discovered that changing the bite of the chain on the log can help it roll up and over obstructions like stumps. Pretty slick. Like I said, this has become my favorite implement! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #15  

LOL! We ought to make it a rule that all TBN Kubota owners named Peter must have a winch!

My favorite Peter line happened at work. I called this wild blonde who worked in the quality lab and was talking to her on the phone while her assistant, Peter, was trying to talk to her in the background. Finally she blurted out, "Wait a minute! I have a Peter in each ear and can't hear a thing!" We all bust out laughing.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #16  

Looks like your all set for winter and mud season when people drive up your road and get stuck..just wondering what your going rate to get pull out./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #17  

My rate depends on their attitude. Nice folks are free. Folks who badmouth Vermont get charged $50. $100 if they say bad things about Vermonters. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif If they're really awful I call Willie's Towing; he has a bad tourist rate. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #18  

It's heavier than my tractor, and a 351 works on mine so you should be fine.

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #19  

I think the other Pete has more experience than do at this point, but all indications are that you can haul any size tree that still stands in north america provided you cut it to 15' or so. I think the biggest I hauled was a birch that was about 12', but I hauled the entire tree which was about 50' long.

/ Farmi Winch ?'s #20  
Re: Farmi Winch ?\'s

All this talk of hauling monster trees along with the other discussion about breaking tractors with backhoes makes me wonder about the stress that a winch puts on the 3PH anchor point. Given the lever lengths, that 7700lbs of tree hauling force could easily get doubled by the time it hits the top link on the 3PH. My guess it that this force is close to what a backhoe might encounter - but I don't know for sure and I don't plan to go through the math. I do know that my winch has dragged my tractor farther than my backhoe, so applying Bird's common-sense substitute to complex math, I'd say a winch is just as rough on a tractor as a backhoe.

Pete, getting one of the reinforced top link brackets may be cheap insurance for your 3010. It also puts you one step closer to a backhoe!