Farmi Winches

/ Farmi Winches
Jcotta
Please elaborate on your grapple. 3pt hitch or fel. If 3pt hitch probably requires auxiallry hydralics ? It sounds awesome!!

/ Farmi Winches #12  
I chose a grapple because it is more versatile and I like the idea of having the weight in front and using loader controls to operate. I think a winch is for those who do serious logging. How much use is the winch going to get? My plan is postiion logs with chains and then cut up into ten or twelve foot sections to handle with grapple. I used a 18hp Farmall (no rops) when young and stupid to skid logs. The machine really did not have have enough weight or power to safely handle logs. I was skidding mostly 10-16 inch oaks, they get heavy quickly. I bought a 43 hp John Deere mainly for weight to handle larger wood and stone. I also have loaded tires and a backhoe. I plan on leaving backhoe on for counter weight. My setup probably weighs about 6,000 lbs. I not installed grapple yet, but will use WR Long electric diverter valve for third function control. Run a search on Island Tractor and grapple. He uses a Millonzi grapple on a 20 hp machine very effectively.

/ Farmi Winches #13  
I would so love to have 1 of these but it is $3100 JL351 for a 30 horse tractor. Dam nice winch. I have seen amazing things accomplished with snatch blocks & pulleys. I don't think there is anything you couldn't move were you want it with one of these

/ Farmi Winches #14  
For me I always buy more than I need in a winch. In the 5 years I have owned a Warn 12.5k winch and put it on my truck I only used it once. But it paid for itself that one time.

/ Farmi Winches #15  
RedRocker said:
You should try to find a used one in Texas........I haven't seen one in the four years I've been looking.

RedRockker, A long drive for you but I saw this one advertised. I think it it way to big for JMP 1320 20hp tractor. I was tempted, but have not even finished my WR Long Grapple setup.

I subscribe to online version at the www. thewantad.com 2.25 a week

FARMI WINCH MODEL 501 LOG WINCH
Goes on the 3-pt hitch of a tractor. Nds 25hp or more to operate, in exc cond. Used vy little. $2500/bo; (Greene, RI) 401-397-9531 k

I do not know the party above. Hope this helps someone.

John

/ Farmi Winches #16  
When gathering fire wood the most time consuming part of it for me was picking up the blocked up pieces. Many times I can not drive into the woods right up next to the tree. I added a trailer ball to the back of mine so I can pull my trailer with the winch on.

Most of the time I pull the tree up along side the trailer cut a section of it into blocks then pull some more until I get the whole thing pulled up and cut up right next to the trailer. Once the first section is cut up the next section usually set up on top of the chunks keeping them off the ground, makes it easier for cutting.

Last week I had to remove 4 trees from a friends wood lot that were close together. Three dropped right on the frozen pond the fourth hung up a little in a dense stand of hemlock. Just a little tug with the winch and the fourth tree came right out and down. I was able to pull all four up the bank to the side of the woods road buck them up for fire wood and take them home. Thre of the trees all came out from one pulling location.

They are expensive but well worth the cost. The up side is if you find you want to sell it they are very easy to sell.

Randy

/ Farmi Winches
Texas i kinda a haul from NY ! !

/ Farmi Winches #18  
Thanks John, I appreciate the help.

/ Farmi Winches #19  
I've got a 601 I use on a 30 hp tractor. I've never regreted the purchase. It's done everything I've asked it to do including winching a dump truck up a mountain (the tractor was chained to a tree).

/ Farmi Winches #20  
I run my 601 off a 100hp tractor........ 1,000 rpms are all that is needed to get the biggest load that winch will pull moving up a STEEP slope. LOVE the damned thing!