FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do?

/ FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do? #1  

Jimbr549

Tractor
2004 Farm Pro 2430
I bought a 2004 FarmPro 2430 with FEL and a backhoe, the FEL works as it should, the backhoe needs some love. I'm having no luck finding a readable diagram of the various control levers in the seat area. One lever in particular is eluding me as to it's purpose. Whatever is does, it seems so be stuck. (see pic)

My 3ph arms are stuck in the up position, and I'm wondering if this particular lever has an influence on the 3ph...? Also, do I need to engage the PTO in order to raise/lower the lift arms on the 3ph? T

TIA! IMG_1388.JPG

Last edited:
   / FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do? #2  
I bought a 2004 FarmPro 2430 with FEL and a backhoe, the FEL works as it should, the backhoe needs some love. I'm having no luck finding a readable diagram of the various control levers in the seat area. One lever in particular is eluding me as to it's purpose. Whatever is does, it seems so be stuck. (see pic)

My 3ph arms are stuck in the up position, and I'm wondering if this particular lever has an influence on the 3ph...? Also, do I need to engage the PTO in order to raise/lower the lift arms on the 3ph? T

TIA!View attachment 691778
If you don't have an operator's manual, get one here:

/ FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do?
If you don't have an operator's manual, get one here:

Actually, I do have the manual. The only diagram with labels is from the view of sitting in the seat, looking forward, completely bypassing the various knobs and levers under the seat.

/ FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do? #4  
Last question first. No, you should not need to run the PTO to have hydraulic power to the 3pt.
Check under the front of the seat for a knob. This knob controls the "fall rate" of the 3.pt. You turn the knob all the way in to stop the arms from lowering. They will still raise however. There is probably a locking screw below the knob that jams against the threads of the knob valve to keep the knob in place. Loosen the set screw and back the knob out (counterclockwise) several turns and see if your arms will drop. This should happen with the control lever in the down position even if the tractor is not running. Second possibility is that the internal 3pt. piston has been over-extended and is jammed in the up position. You will need at least a parts manual to aid in disassembly to correct this problem.

The lever looks like the location for the 3pt. engage. If that is wrong, you really need an operators manual to figure it out.

My answers are based on a Jinma 284 which should be fairly similar.

Last question first. No, you should not need to run the PTO to have hydraulic power to the 3pt.
Check under the front of the seat for a knob. This knob controls the "fall rate" of the 3.pt. You turn the knob all the way in to stop the arms from lowering. They will still raise however. There is probably a locking screw below the knob that jams against the threads of the knob valve to keep the knob in place. Loosen the set screw and back the knob out (counterclockwise) several turns and see if your arms will drop. This should happen with the control lever in the down position even if the tractor is not running. Second possibility is that the internal 3pt. piston has been over-extended and is jammed in the up position. You will need at least a parts manual to aid in disassembly to correct this problem.

The lever looks like the location for the 3pt. engage. If that is wrong, you really need an operators manual to figure it out.

My answers are based on a Jinma 284 which should be fairly similar.
Yep, the knob was what I needed, TY. I tried different settings and, as things stand, my son and I each had to stand on a lift arm to lower them...that's 400lbs of beef, just to get the arms down! The arms lifted as they should. It's my understanding that the arms are powered up, but rely on gravity to lower. Hopefully they will "loosen up" with use and I won't have to have my son come over every time I want to change implements. :)

The lever I was referring to is not shown in your manual as far as I can translate. I did find reference to it in my manual, I believe it is designed to disengage the hydraulic pump for when hydraulics are not needed so as to reduce wear on the pump. My manual shows the lever being under the dash, near the clutch. I'm guessing these manuals were revised on a very loose schedule, and translated by someone's uncle that "claimed" to speak english.

/ FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do? #7  
Glad to hear you got it working. FYI the down flow valve controlled by the knob should open up enough to let the arms drop faster than they go up with no weight on them. Make sure you get it opened up all the way for full flow. It is possible that there is some debris blocking the return channel somewhere in the system. Fluid temperature affects viscosity which affects flow rate. Perhaps it will flush itself out with use.

I have never heard of a hydraulic disconnect. On my tractor the pump is attached to the engine at the front gear cover. The system was designed for power steering and 3point but adding an FEL really taxes the capacity of the under the seat tank. So much so that with the 3point raised and pushing uphill with the loader, I often have the suction line get uncovered and start sucking air. I have contemplated rigging up a new suction line so it pulls from either the front or back of the tank sort of like a flop tube for aerobatic plane fuel and oil systems. Or, plumb in an auxiliary external tank for added capacity. If you overfill the main tank, it just leaks out all the joints that were not supposed to be sealed anyway. Ask me how I know...

Where is your hydraulic pump located?
Do you have power steering?

Glad to hear you got it working. FYI the down flow valve controlled by the knob should open up enough to let the arms drop faster than they go up with no weight on them. Make sure you get it opened up all the way for full flow. It is possible that there is some debris blocking the return channel somewhere in the system. Fluid temperature affects viscosity which affects flow rate. Perhaps it will flush itself out with use.

I have never heard of a hydraulic disconnect. On my tractor the pump is attached to the engine at the front gear cover. The system was designed for power steering and 3point but adding an FEL really taxes the capacity of the under the seat tank. So much so that with the 3point raised and pushing uphill with the loader, I often have the suction line get uncovered and start sucking air. I have contemplated rigging up a new suction line so it pulls from either the front or back of the tank sort of like a flop tube for aerobatic plane fuel and oil systems. Or, plumb in an auxiliary external tank for added capacity. If you overfill the main tank, it just leaks out all the joints that were not supposed to be sealed anyway. Ask me how I know...

Where is your hydraulic pump located?
Do you have power steering?
Yep, i'm hoping it does flush out. Next time I'm moving gravel and have the oil heated up, I'll try the 3ph again and see if it loosens up.

On the hydraulic disconnect, here's what the book says about it:

9) Use of release handle of Power take-off Driving shaft:

"The release handle on the right side of the transmission should be put on the disengaged position as shown in figure 6-12 when tractor works for transportation or the working of oil gear is not needed, and at the same time the PTO shaft stops running. Thus the power consumption and the wearing of the pump will be reduced."

So, it mechanically disengages the pto in order to reduce stress on the pump, but it does not disengage the pump. Not a horrible idea, I guess, and I should probably disengage it now, since I'm not using the PTO or the 3ph. With my memory, I'll likely forget that I disengaged the damn thing, and spend 3 days trying to figure out why I can't brush hog my pasture.

My pump is mounted up front like yours, near the starter, and yes, I do have power steering.

I haven't taxed my hydraulic system much, yet, but if I do I'll likely adopt your idea of a flop tube if I have problems. That seems like an elegant solution.

Thanks again for your help!

/ FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do? #9  

TIA!View attachment 691778
If you have a backhoe mounted on a 3pt hitch, you will need a LOT of luck!
If your backhoe is on a subframe you are in no danger!

/ FarmPro 2430 question: What does this lever do? #10  
That is very interesting. It sounds like the engine mounted pump runs the power steering and possibly the FEL but the disconnect is for the pump that runs the backhoe?
I'm really not familiar with this tractor.
The Jinma 284 has a mounting point for a rear mounted pump just above the PTO shaft. It turns with the engine speed and the PTO is run independently. However, the pump shaft is powered through the PTO (second stage clutch) input so if you push the clutch in far enough to disengage the PTO the rear pump will stop too.
My PTO has dual speeds and a neutral position on the speed selector. The engage/disengage is on a separate lever.

Does the pump that runs your backhoe come off when the backhoe is removed?