Favorite diesel can?

/ Favorite diesel can? #81  
My enpty oil plastic jugs works for me a shot of yellow
spray paint. easy to lift only 2.5 gal, easy to move and
every time I go to town can fill and dump in my 55 gal
tank. Also every time I change oil in my truck have instant 3 empty 2.5 gal jugs. Its very easy to lift and
pour from the 2.5 gal jug verses the 5 gal safety jugs

willy

/ Favorite diesel can? #82  
My favorite are the two 5 gallon Scepter plastic jerry cans I took home from the Army. They're extremely rugged, and I was able to buy new gaskets on eBay.

/ Favorite diesel can? #83  
I have 4 of these, I can only burn 2 per day so it's easy peasy... I like their narrow foot print

1712571027495.png

/ Favorite diesel can? #85  
This is my favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_2516fuel pump.JPG
    IMG_2516fuel pump.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
   / Favorite diesel can? #87  
Hi all, looking for a purchase recommendation. I'm looking for a diesel container to fuel my Kubota L3302. It'll hold 14 11 gallons, and I really don't want to buy three two 5gal diesel containers. The glass can I bought were for gas, and they sucked, so hoping to use the collective knowledge here to point me in the right direction. Currently I'm burning through a lot of diesel as I turn a rural 20 acres property into a homesite, but I expect my fuel use will fall precipitously once the property is established, so I'm not terribly interested in big tanks as I just wont be able to use it fast enough.

I've looked at the Scepter Duramax and the John Down 15 Gallon can, but the reviews where mixed enough that I hesitated on pulling the trigger.

What say you?
I have a 200 gallon tank. Our property is an easy 1 hour round trip to the closest gas station. I had, and still have, three 5 gallon plain old yellow plastic diesel cans. I did buy some of the cheap spouts to put on them to avoid the valve assemblies that are now California compliant. However, I found that I was running through about 15 gallons a day at the ranch when I was working. That meant that I had to lose an hour a day going to get 15 gallons of fuel every day, and burn a couple of gallons of diesel on the trip to boot. The 200 gallon tank makes it more convenient. My supplier delivers farm diesel when needed, and I get it under my farm use fuel tax certificate at a reduced rate from the pump. Also, if and when you don't need the tank, there is always somebody waiting in the wings to buy it. Just remember to treat it with stabilizer and an algae preventative. I think in the end you will really like it.

/ Favorite diesel can? #89  
Use a roofing screw.
;-)
Might work good.

However, after a couple of drains I wonder if it would strip out.

I was thinking about something more like a compressor tank drain valve, but how do I get enough material to tap say 1/4” NPT into.

/ Favorite diesel can? #90  
The roofing screw thing wasn't a serious suggestion for something with fuel in it. But a condensate drain in a tank really should have some sort of 'sump' that will reliably collect water; not easily achieved with a typical drum.

Anything sticking out is going to be vulnerable to getting sheared off; with that understanding, here are a couple of ideas:
plug-in option, using a rubber grommet This style system is used on a lot of lawn equipment for gasoline, and also used by ultralite/light sport aircraft builders.

If you add a moderately thick 'rubber' gasket and a hose with a valve on the end, a bulkhead fitting can be installed with a little coat hangar ingenuity.