feedback on HF AD welding helmet

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #31  
I have had mine for a year. I keep it in a cabinet, with the welding gloves over the face plate, to keep the lens clean. Haven't had any problems.

When I rec'd it I was a little dissapointed because it said not to use when colder than (30 degrees??). Can't remember the exact temp. Anyway I have used it at 15 - 20 degrees, and it worked fine. Why is this warning there?

I used it when the temp was considerably colder and I'm ok...I'm ok...I'm ok....I'm o........................................................................................

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet
My guess is at colder temps, the shade ( lcd? ) may react slower, and / or the backup batteries may not be reliable in the cold.

Soundguy

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #33  
Maine_Polack said:
I have had mine for a year. I keep it in a cabinet, with the welding gloves over the face plate, to keep the lens clean. Haven't had any problems.

When I rec'd it I was a little dissapointed because it said not to use when colder than (30 degrees??). Can't remember the exact temp. Anyway I have used it at 15 - 20 degrees, and it worked fine. Why is this warning there?

I used it when the temp was considerably colder and I'm ok...I'm ok...I'm ok....I'm o........................................................................................

I think LCDs respond slower when it is cold. I'm pretty sure the mask is LCD.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #34  
Tom, I suggest you return the helmet and get another. When I first started using mine it was set at 13 and i didn't realize it. I couldn't see the puddle so I took the helmet off and noticed the adjustable shade knob. I turned to 11 and using an 115V arc welder could see the puddle just fine.

Maybe you adjustment knob is not working. As I mentioned in a post I started about this helmet a few days before this one, my only problem with the helmet is I try to flip it down to weld when it is already down. I like these ad hats.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #35  
Soundguy said:
... A shade of 13 makes it where i can only see the arc itself. A shade of 9 makes it where i can see the entire work. Shade 11 helmet lets me see the arc, and puddle, and about an half inch fore and aft of the arc.

Not sure that helps you any. However..

Indeed that does help! Thanks to all who replied. You've answered my question quite well. You've told me there should be a distinct and obvious difference between what can be seen at shades 9 and 13. I do not see that difference.

Two potential causes: 1) defective helmet. 2) could cataract surgery in both eyes several months ago possibly show such an effect.

First, I'll try to find another helmet to test. That should eliminate one or the other of the potential causes, then, we'll go from there.

If it's the helmet, the decision will be whether to replace this helmet with like kind or dig deep for a more "name brand". Perhaps a consultation (and associated grovelling) with the CFO is in order.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #36  
In case anyone was else was wondering, or had a problem with it - the "stops" for how far the helmet flips down are adjustable by removing the small pan-head screws near the friction adjust knobs and reinstalling them in one of the other holes (there are three). The "manual" said something about being able to adjust this, but provided no instructions or drawings. I had to take one side apart before I realized that this was how to "adjust" them!

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #37  
Anyone else ever have to modify/notch the top of the helmet to keep it from grabbing the band adjuster? All mine (Jackson EQC, Jackson large window non-AD & old Jackson small window flip-up non-AD) needed to be done, otherwise they would flip off my head when flipping down. Or could I be the only toe-head welder? :confused:

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #38  
I hate welding flash. I still have old style hood. Works for me. I saw a safety poster in Standard Spring and Axle in Dallas that said "So you don't want to wear your safety glasses? Why don't you pick out your replacement now." This was at the bottom of a picture of a bunch of glass eyes laid out on a table.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet
Speaking of hoods. I was cleaning the shop today and found the face shield that you hold by hand that came with my 70a stick welder. I'm not sure i ever used it.. I just tossed it behing the tool box on the first day and went right to a hood style. Seems like you would get alot of reflection and side flash from a simple hand held shield... not to mention it ties up a hand!

soundguy

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #40  
Soundguy said:
not to mention it ties up a hand!

soundguy

I've welded an awful lot, and I've always been a cheater. You know, I use both hands when welding. :) That is, of course, unless I'm holding on with the other. I used to work as a deck hand on an old paddle wheeler that ran around on the Ohio River for cruises. The captain got really liquored up one night and rammed the dock, tearing a nice gash in the side of the boat.

We ballasted the opposite side of the paddle wheeler to get the hole out of the water. Two of us went below and beat the inward facing metal back out with sledge hammers to close the gash as much as we could. Man, I bet we beat on that thing for an hour! Anyway, the captain was in a panic to get the hole fixed. He had a really old welder that was attached to an old inline 6 cyl Chrysler engine on it's own trailer. I'd never seen such a thing! Anyway, he darn near drops the thing in the water when using a loading crane to set it out on the dock by the paddle wheeler, but manages to get it on the dock.

It appears that I'm the only person there who could weld other than the captain, who by now is extremely snockered (started drinking more after ramming the dock). So, I get this old Chrysler fired up and clamp the ground on a deck cleat and grab the lead. I open the tool box with it and the only thing in it is a couple dozen 3/8" rods! Holy cow man! I'd never seen rods so big!! Worse yet, no welding hood or gloves! :( I said that I couldn't possibly weld up an 18" vertical seam in 1/2" plate at 2am bobbing up and down on the water with this old beast that only has 3/8" rods and no hood!! The captain says that he'll do it (rather angrily), but falls down several times before he even gets to the dock.

So, here I am at 3am hanging over the railing with one hand trying to weld vertically with this giant rod while another deck hand holds an old Playboy in my face to block the flash. :eek: I didn't know what any settings on that old Chrysler welding thing meant, so I just said "give me all it's got". Yikes, I'm now burning huge holes through the side of the boat! :eek: We finally got it turned down to a reasonable level and I started getting used to playing 'peek-a-boo from behind the Playboy (man, that puddle will still blind you when it's really red!) when my one hand slips off the dock rail. Yup, down I went, still holding the lead, right into the Ohio; between the paddle wheeler and the dock! :mad: I'm darn lucky I didn't drown, and the captain is only worried because I'm saying I'm not finishing that welding job.

Ah well, I ended up finishing that weld anyway. I can't believe they ran that thing 3 more years before the Coast Guard made them get the weld fixed better. Anyway, you reminded me of that by talking about holding something in front of your face while welding. That old drunk captain told me that was the way he'd always welded. I'd never heard of such. So, I guarantee you that even the cheapest HF AD hood would be better than holding an old issue of Playboy in front of your face when welding! :D