Feeding Squirrels....

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #11  
I have an old "Sheridan" air rifle. I believe it is a "Blue Streak" model. I have a 3-6X variable scope on it and it is "sighted in" pretty well. My wife will not let me use it on squirrels, but it would definately do the job. I feed grey, black, red, and flying squirrels during the winter season :(. My cat will get an ocassional red :)! Jay

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #12  
This works for me I put my bird feeder on top of a 4 or 6 in. plastic sewer pipe squirrels can not climb the pipe. This must be in a place where they can not jumb and land on feeder. It is fun to watch the squirrels try and slide down they always look around as to check our if one of their buddies saw them fail. MD

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #13  
I got one of those 4 armed squirrel feeders this year. I gleaned a bucket of corn from the field. It started out with my wife laughing at me but we all enjoyed the squirrel acrobatics. I had hoped that the squirrels would eat the corn and lay off the bird food. Yeah right.:rolleyes: I guess you have to keep a positive attitude. Squirrels can be pretty entertaining. Trying to outsmart them can give you something to do through the long boring winter. If you succeed you can tell yourself that you are smarter than a squirrel.:p :p :p

Chris

/ Feeding Squirrels....
jbrumberg said:
I have an old "Sheridan" air rifle. I believe it is a "Blue Streak" model. I have a 3-6X variable scope on it and it is "sighted in" pretty well. My wife will not let me use it on squirrels, but it would definately do the job. I feed grey, black, red, and flying squirrels during the winter season :(. My cat will get an ocassional red :)! Jay

I've been wanting a nice pellet rifle. I have a pellet pistol but I just don't have the eyes anymore.

I'll get out and cruise the pawn shops to see what they have to offer. I might trade one of my old .22s for a nice pellet rifle and scope setup. My wife is advocating violence......:eek:...and it might be a good way for me to teach her to shoot without her realizing it...;)

In other words, I might kill two squirrels with one stone:cool:

I'm still thinking about going with that Yankee Flipper bird feeder. I'd like to see 'em fly.

'Course there'd be no shooting at a $60 feeder.

hud

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #15  
I have used a small amount of cayenne pepper, mixed with the bird seed. Birds don't sense it. But the squirrels sure don't like getting their mouths burned. I use an old coffee container and add about a tablespoon to the seed and shake to mix.

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #16  
Save your money on the Yankee "squirrel thrower". I had one and while it was entertaining to watch a few squirrels get flung off the feeder, the battery does not hold a charge long and the battery for my feeder lasted only about a year. Squirrels figured out how to pop the top of the feeder off, hanging by their back legs and used their front feet, and go down inside it to get the seed.

I mounted my feeder on a 4x4 pole and used a pole baffle Squirrel Baffles (Post Mounted) at BestNest.com!

This has been the mose effective squirrel deterent that I have used. Just make sure there are no trees or limbs close by that the squirrels can jump from.

I also have used one of the less expensive benjamin pellet rifles in .22 cal. These are very effective, silent, and inexpensive - the only problem is the squirrels will learn when the coast is clear and it seems like the more you get rid of the more that move in to take their place.

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #17  
I second the pellet gun method, I've got a .177 cal Gamo that shoots 1000 fps and very accurate.

and if you've got a good dog, they'll remove the evidence;)

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #18  
Hud. We use the squirrel baffels. They work great. In the winter as the snow piles up you may have to move the baffel up some. We do have a few toys for the "limb rats" our granddaughts love watching them on a bungie cord that holds a food block for them as well as the wheel thing. These guys are very smart and it doesn't take them long to figure things out.

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #19  
Thanks for the knowledge. I'm going to try your pipe approach. How high can a squirrel jump? I feed squirrels bread and plan to use the pole for the new bird feeder recently purchased. I won't kill the critters there not that much trouble.