Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
Had 2 tandem loads delivered yesterday of fill dirt. Just plain old Carolina red clay. 13 cu yds is one tandem load (advertised, sold by volume, not weight like stone).

Was extending a shooting berm/backstop. Addition is 16' wide, 6' deep, 7.5" high. So picture piling that against an L-shaped wall getting to 7+ft high at top. The way it flows/spreads, I get 6' at the bottom (with some bigger clods and stuff rolling off the mound extending beyond 6' a little), but only about 2.5' at the top. The L-shaped wall is pretty much to contain the pile so it will go up vs just continually spread out as it goes higher.

If I calculate that volume as a full rectangle shape I get 26.7 cu yds. But since not a box and the actual shape it takes is more of a right triangle, should take less dirt. So I was thinking 2x 13yd loads would be perfect - fill it and leave a small pile left to go back after it settles & compacts and top it back off. But it took all of both loads just about so no way they both = 26 yds. I had probably 3 scoops left when I was done - ~1.5 yds - and that was enough to level out the little ruts I made running the tractor over the same small area over & over piling up the dirt.

Is it pretty common to sell fill dirt, mulch, etc that way? i.e. full truck holds "about X yds" but there is a pretty large variance?

Over the years have had lots of fill dirt & gravel delivered. The piles look HUGE - esp when a quad axle delivers - and it never goes that far once you start using it - I get that part. My bucket holds 1/2 yard - not sure if that is struck or heaped, but the scoops I took weren't heaped a lot (not pushing in, curling, getting as much material as possible heaped in bucket) since I was taking to full height and keeping a overly heaped bucket level all the way up just drops a lot, so full buckets, but not heaped real high. Anyway, that should have been 50+ scoops. I didn't count, but as slow as I was going, no way I moved 50+ scoops.

I didn't see the 2nd load - he just came and dumped it while I was working on something else not paying close attention, but did get a pic of him dumping the first load. I think company name is obscured well enough to post.... Am I wrong in thinking the bed of that truck should have been "fuller"?

20181023_133551_resized.jpg

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #2  
Price?
I had five tandem loads of fill dirt delivered a few weeks ago. Each load when dumped didn't look like much, and we kept thinking 2-3 loads would do it.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #3  
Generally truck loads go by aggregate load weight and what's allowed on the road based on number of axels, not how much can they squeeze into the box.

When bulk ordering low density materials like mulch they tend to sell by the yard.

Check your load tickets to see how much they delivered per truck and cost per ton. That's a more reliable method and you pay for what you get vs eyeballing it and being hopeful.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #4  
Did you shop around? Have you used this source before?

Guess only way to know for sure is if they hauled the fill from another source and you saw the weight sheet given upon exit.

Supposedly a yd of fill is ~2,000lbs. That would be the reason for them saying they can deliver 13yds. I believe on average (from sandrock I got delivered) that they average between 16-17.5 tons load, no matter what they're hauling.

I can say that from your picture my loads of sandrock looked very similar in size, and the sandrock should be between 2,500-2,700 per yd. :confused3:

I get the pickup sheet/load ticket before the check is written.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #5  
Around here, dirt is delivered by weight even though its advertised by volume. That's because of truck/road weight restrictions. Now, for you, the questions are whether there are road weight restrictions in your state (and the company obeys them), the dirt supply ran out, or the load settled on the way to your place. I just had 3 10 yard loads of top soil delivered and the truck was about 7/8 full each time. If the State Police stop you and weigh the truck's axles and you flunk, it could cost you $500 - $1000 fine. My concrete guy told be this. Additional fine(s) if the load is not covered. BTW: he got a $250 fine for one loose chain (out of six) on a backhoe tie-down.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #6  
Go measure out a 3' x 3' square in your yard. Then take a shovel and carefully dig a perfect cube down exactly 3'. Now take that shovel and put that dirt back in the hole. It won't fit unless you compact it several times as you fill it.

When you order a truckload of dirt, let's say the box on the truck is 10 yards, and they fill it up, you'll get 10 yards of dirt with air in it. When you start compacting it it won't be 10 yards of dirt.

Also, as someone mentioned, it's usually sold by the ton, even though they tell you it's X yards of dirt. I found this out for the first time about 1990 when I ordered 20 yards of slag for my road. Yes, they put it in a 20 yard dumptruck. But no, it wasn't 20 yards. It was X tons and I was charged by the ton. They can estimate how much a yard of material weighs, but until you get the truck on the scale, you don't really know for sure just how much is in there.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #7  
When you order a truckload of dirt, let's say the box on the truck is 10 yards, and they fill it up, you'll get 10 yards of dirt with air in it. When you start compacting it it won't be 10 yards of dirt.

And just driving the load down the road causes it to compact itself in the truck somewhat.

I always feel cheated when buying mulch even when I watch them load it since they always "fluff" the pile before they start scooping the load.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #8  
Go measure out a 3' x 3' square in your yard. Then take a shovel and carefully dig a perfect cube down exactly 3'. Now take that shovel and put that dirt back in the hole. It won't fit unless you compact it several times as you fill it.

Also, as someone mentioned, it's usually sold by the ton, even though they tell you it's X yards of dirt. I found this out for the first time about 1990 when I ordered 20 yards of slag for my road. Yes, they put it in a 20 yard dumptruck. But no, it wasn't 20 yards. It was X tons and I was charged by the ton. They can estimate how much a yard of material weighs, but until you get the truck on the scale, you don't really know for sure just how much is in there.

I was thinking something similar, but was using the word fluff when describing the dirt that you buy. Here, it's loaded with a one yard loader, so the guy just scoops up how many yards you paid for, and dumps it in to the truck, counting each load until he gets to what you bought. It's coming from a pile that's already been dug up and hauled to the yard, so it's considered loose fill.

If you are selling dirt, it's about a buck a yard. Neighbor sold 5,000 yards for $4,000 when the new high school was being built. They had an excavator on his place to load it with a one yard bucket and a dozen dump trucks to haul it away. They ran non stop until it was all gone. This was a pile that he had created when he had his pond dug, so he was pretty sure how much was there. They real money was in the hauling it. Each dump truck held about ten yards and it was about an hour round trip for them. At $100 an hour, that's another ten bucks a yard to the price. This doesn't count the cost of the excavator to be there. I figured it was about $14 a yard by the time it got to where it was going and nobody was making a profit.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #9  
The amount on the sides of that truck are pretty typical. There’s not very much in the tailgate. I doubt they weighed the truck and adjusted the load. Maybe they loaded a little conservatively. In either case I don’t think it was gross negligence on their part.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #10  
You got just a little less than ten yards on the truck in the picture.