FEL bucket lip forks for BX24

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24
LBrown59 said:
What is the pipe at the top for?
I can't where it does anything.

== L B ==

The 4' pipe at the top keeps the forks from falling over when not on the tractor. It is designed to allow width adjustment. I considered a fixed width, but adjustable was desired.

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24 #12  
WOW these forks look great. This would make a great winter project for me. I'm having a problem opening the zip file though. It was very kind of you to post the info. Super job. I gotta brush up on my welding. Any help with the zip files would be appeciated. I downloaded the sketch up program and it works. I updated win zip and it works. The file seems corrupted. Has anyone else opened it successfully?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!:)

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24 #14  
Dascro said:
...I am considering adding a "foot" on the back side of the forks that rest on the inside of the bucket to help take some of the load off the bucket lip...

This design is the gold standard example of elegant simplicity. Just seeing this thread has given me an answer to a great many thoughts I've had to create 'quick attach' items to the FEL. Very nice.

Regarding concern over loads, I would think that simply lengthening the two pipes that fit in the upper "lip roll" of the FEL (which ultimately locks everything in place when you roll the bucket back...I LOVE it) would greatly increase your load distribution to the FEL bucket structure. Widening them by 2 or 3 inches on either side, for example, would give you an exponential increase in the amount of force necessary to deform the top lip of the bucket, the primary point of possible failure. This is since your primary load mechanism isn't going to be "up-down" on the top lip, rather a HUGE moment arm trying to rip the top lip of the bucket forward.

If you wanted, you could also create more of a 'flange' to better engage the wear-edge of the bucket.

All this said, we are talking about possibilities far beyond the lifting capacity of the FEL, so the point is fairly moot.

Again, wonderful design and thank you for sharing.

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24 #15  
Nice job. I've built something similar. Its very handy to have something you attach so quickly. However from 'experience' I can see you may have two problems. Firstly when you reverse the forks out of a pallet or from under some rubbish they will want to 'stick' and swing up. Thats annoying especially on uneven ground. It may be extra noticeable on your design because it protrudes below the bottom of the bucket. Secondly there will be occasions when you want the front of your forks to 'push' downwards. You can't do that if they are 'hinged' as they currently are. You can fix these issues simply by having some means of fixing the forks to the bottom of the bucket. Say with a couple of chains or bolts.

And one other little safety issue. Don't curl that bucket back too fast while its high in the air or you may find the forks in your lap. Chains should fix that problem too.

Regards

Last edited:
   / FEL bucket lip forks for BX24
alchemysa said:
Nice job. I've built something similar. Its very handy to have something you attach so quickly. However from 'experience' I can see you may have two problems. Firstly when you reverse the forks out of a pallet or from under some rubbish they will want to 'stick' and swing up. Thats annoying especially on uneven ground. It may be extra noticeable on your design because it protrudes below the bottom of the bucket. Secondly there will be occasions when you want the front of your forks to 'push' downwards. You can't do that if they are 'hinged' as they currently are. You can fix these issues simply by having some means of fixing the forks to the bottom of the bucket. Say with a couple of chains or bolts.

And one other little safety issue. Don't curl that bucket back too fast while its high in the air or you may find the forks in your lap. Chains should fix that problem too.

Regards

Very good points and I have noticed the "swing up" factor several times. It just makes me a much more accurate "forklift" driver.

The main purpose of these forks was to move the garbage cans (on a pallet) to the end of the driveway without having to get off the tractor for fork attachment. To that end, they work great.

If I can figure a way to attach the forks, have a bottom retaining system, and do this without getting off the tractor, I will make the modifications.

It's just another work in progress. :rolleyes:

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24 #17  
carsce said:
If I can figure a way to attach the forks, have a bottom retaining system, and do this without getting off the tractor, I will make the modifications.

I only just twigged to the fact you can just drive up and hook them on without leaving the seat. Excellent!

Mine were used mainly around the house building site and were often working with broken pallets, or no pallets at all. So the business of the forks 'sticking' was always an issue. Mine also have a solid crossbar, they cannot individually swing like yours. Your 'flexibility' may be an advantage on uneven ground.

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24 #19  
bx2200 said:
WOW these forks look great. This would make a great winter project for me. I'm having a problem opening the zip file though. It was very kind of you to post the info. Super job. I gotta brush up on my welding. Any help with the zip files would be appeciated. I downloaded the sketch up program and it works. I updated win zip and it works. The file seems corrupted. Has anyone else opened it successfully?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!:)

I can't get the file to unzip either... gee welding...wonder what my wife is going to say when I tell her I need a new welder...:)

/ FEL bucket lip forks for BX24 #20  
Here's a PDF of the google sketchup file. Sorry the text isn't clearer, sketchup must be fighting with adobe....

Attachments

• FEL_bucket_lip_forks_for_BX24.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 386