Front-End Loader FEL bucket longevity?

/ FEL bucket longevity? #12  
BUT how about the metal- is this something that wears out over time or should it outlast the tractor itself?

Somebody rebuilt my loader bucket before i bought it (it used to be a small payloader bucket) with mild steel. I welded a patch edge on the front to it, from manganese steel
It will last a long time.

/ FEL bucket longevity? #13  
Traded my 1988 JD 650 this year, I patched holes in the bottom of the bucket twice. Was about to do it the third time (new bucket unavailable), decided to trade it in for the 2320. 20 years of moving horse manure I figure. Now I hose out the bucket when done moving manure.

/ FEL bucket longevity? #14  
During my first year of ownership my bucket got worked real hard. Mostly land clearing, digging stumps, pushing trees over and popping the stump out with the lip of the bucket. I had cracks forming where reinforcement angle iron goes across the back between the loader arm attachments. I think this was from torquing the bucket by hooking one corner of the lip under stumps. Got it re-welded and it has held just fine. Lower edge of bucket has a slight 'smile' to it. Top edge is bent slightly from pushing trees with it....don't do it, its weak, use the lower lip instead.

But, even after all that it pretty much looks normal (like a 3 year old bucket) and functions normally and will probably last many more years. From the build of it, I'd guess its pretty light duty.

I should have gotten a tooth bar years ago. Still don't have one.

/ FEL bucket longevity? #15  
Buckets do wear but as long as there is cutting edge, sheet plate, AR plate and a welder available they are repairable.:D:D

/ FEL bucket longevity? #16  
i have a MX5000 with a LA852 loader and HD bucket. Based on my experience with this unit you will be hard pressed to wear out the bucket in your life time.

When you travel down the road or anyplace at a high rate of speed use the locking lever to ensure you do not end up with the bent up mess pictured above.

/ FEL bucket longevity? #17  
Interesting thread. 2 questions.
1. Does the toothbar just attach with those side bolts or is it welded to the cutting edge? and
2. What is the cost of the toothbar for a 5 foot (notice I spelled it instead of screwing up ' vs ") bucket. Thanks fellas.

/ FEL bucket longevity? #18  
I have a 5' Markham toothbar, I think the price 2 years ago was 250 or so, It hooks on the cutting edge of the bucket and the 2 bolts keep it from sliding out. Once you put it in and use it a little it will seat onto the lip and is very stable and secure.
Depending on what I am doing, I can put it in or pull it out in a few minutes. You will be amazed at how much the tooth bar improves your digging ability.

Mark

/ FEL bucket longevity? #19  
If you back drag, you can wear out the back / bottom of the bucket. That's the thinnest area. If you plow snow on asphault, you can wear out the cutting edge. The edge is welded in and a bother to cut out and replace. Adding a bolt on edge would be smart if you do that.

Those are the prime wear areas to watch. For us small time operators, wear out is not usually in the forecast.

jb

Last edited:
   / FEL bucket longevity? #20  
Sensible, general use should still allow the bucket to last for decades. My tractor has the original bucket and cutting edge on it after 1500 hrs. and 20 years. A tooth bar was added to the bucket about 10 years ago and that helped save it when digging. Same thing for a co-worker's bucket on his tractor...but he was doing some landclearing/timber work and bent his.

A friend of mine's parents just sold their dairy farm. Their 30-year old International 684 tractor was for sale at the estate sale. It had a really lousy International bucket on it (the mounting brackets were bolted on to the bucket, not welded). Despite the lousy design and daily use, the bucket wasn't bent and had the original cutting edge on it.